opening a repair shop need advice on oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guy's i have not been a memeber on here for long,I learn alot about oil's and do enjoy spending some of my free time on here and posting. Currently My Family Is Planing to open a Mechanic shop and a lube. Currently I Work in AutoPart's and about to attend Mechanic School. im 22 I Did not Cut it in collage it wasn't me. so My Family and older brother decided to use rest of my collage fund's to open a shop. I know It's alot of Work to run a shop. My Family has been talking to a Mechanic who recently sold his shop and retired and has agree to help. Regarding Lube's i was Looking at Warren with there Mag 1 Oil's. I want to Provide Good Quality Lube's and filter with out trying to brake the bank.And Still Providing customer with good oil. Kendell Seem's Possible but Im having a Hard Time Finding it at a better price.Filter's I have no clue who to look for on it,I want to stay away from Any Fram Related Filter.
Thank's guy's for taking the time to look at my post!

Do you have a local Chevron distributor? Wholesale prices on Chevron/Havoline would be tough to beat and are very good oils.
Puro Classics and Pure Ones would be the way to go if you get an installer account at AAP.

You have to figure out what to charge for an oil and filter change without sending customers elsewhere where it is a buck cheaper. Most comatose car owners don't have a clue as to what they want, but if it isn't as cheap as the next guy they think you are taking advantage. One of the worst mistakes to make with a new shop is underestimating the cost of doing business. When you price, you have to look at everything including the cost of disposal of the used stuff, heat, power, insurance, -- all those things they call "overhead". My suggestion is to take your college fund and go to a trade school if "regular college" isn't for you. Trying to make money on oil changes when the local "Drippy Lube is buying oil from a tanker and Chinese filters for a buck is difficult. Remember the average driver has a difficult time seeing and understanding the "payback" from better oil and filters, and may not keep the leasemobile long enough for it to matter.

If you're going to operate a small business of any kind, someone in your organization needs to understand bookkeeping and other basic business skills. Technical knowledge of your field is obviously essential, but the business side is what commonly causes small businesses to fail. Being an excellent mechanic doesn't mean you can run a shop.

I'm not trying to discourage you, and it sounds like you have a support network in your family. If some of your family members have business experience, get their help. Do everything you can to understand how the business of running a mechanical shop works. It's possible that you can concentrate on the technical end of things if you have someone to help you with the business end.

Others here can probably help you more with advice on bulk oil, filters, etc., but remember that above all, a business is a business.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
You have to figure out what to charge for an oil and filter change without sending customers elsewhere where it is a buck cheaper. Most comatose car owners don't have a clue as to what they want, but if it isn't as cheap as the next guy they think you are taking advantage. One of the worst mistakes to make with a new shop is underestimating the cost of doing business. When you price, you have to look at everything including the cost of disposal of the used stuff, heat, power, insurance, -- all those things they call "overhead". My suggestion is to take your college fund and go to a trade school if "regular college" isn't for you. Trying to make money on oil changes when the local "Drippy Lube is buying oil from a tanker and Chinese filters for a buck is difficult. Remember the average driver has a difficult time seeing and understanding the "payback" from better oil and filters, and may not keep the leasemobile long enough for it to matter.

yeah i understand that's why my parent's contacted a mechanic we used to use and was very successful sold his shop and now spend's his day's fishing.and agreed to teach me on cost and expensive's on running a shop. and i decided to go to mechanic school for a trade. Im not just trying to do oil change's.

Mag 1 and Kendall are good conventional oil, Purolator Classic and Pure 1 are good filters. For Synthetic Mobil 1 is preferred by most drivers.

Any major brand in bulk is fine (Mobil, Quakerstate, Sopus, Chevron, etc.) Just be sure to get 5w30 and 5w20 and maybe even 0w20 synthetic in jugs. I would use major name brands that are easily recognized by consumers and meet warranty requirements to avoid any costly litigation when someone fails to maintain their vehicle and comes back at you.

Filters: Purolator, Fram,Wix, NAPA or any major brand for the same reason.

Remember: When you hang out a Pennzoil or Mobil1 logo they have paid for decades of national advertising and brand recognition. You pay only a few cents for that effort to boost the credibility of your business.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Stelth
If you're going to operate a small business of any kind, someone in your organization needs to understand bookkeeping and other basic business skills. Technical knowledge of your field is obviously essential, but the business side is what commonly causes small businesses to fail. Being an excellent mechanic doesn't mean you can run a shop.

I'm not trying to discourage you, and it sounds like you have a support network in your family. If some of your family members have business experience, get their help. Do everything you can to understand how the business of running a mechanical shop works. It's possible that you can concentrate on the technical end of things if you have someone to help you with the business end.

Others here can probably help you more with advice on bulk oil, filters, etc., but remember that above all, a business is a business.

I agree with you 100% Thankfully my older brother and Mother own successful business's. and I Want to Learn everything there is to before I decided to throw my self in the water by my self. That's why I want all of your guys Input's and advice.

Know a man who has been in the auto repair business as an independent most of his life.

He buys ST oil from WallyWorld in the 5qt jugs, and uses no name filters he gets thru CarQuest. I believe the filters are on some sort of stocking program with CarQuest.

Originally Posted By: JohnathanDm

yeah i understand that's why my parent's contacted a mechanic we used to use and was very successful sold his shop and now spend's his day's fishing.and agreed to teach me on cost and expensive's on running a shop. and i decided to go to mechanic school for a trade. Im not just trying to do oil change's.

If you go get BMW tech training you can make some serious $$ doing simple routine BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Infiniti maintenance. People will pay $$ for tire rotations and oil service versus having to go to the dealer.

Much depends on what you will be servicing. My local shop just buys cases of Wolf's Head 10-30 and pretty much uses that. Of course, most of their clientele are driving older cars and it's perfectly adequate. But, they can get other weights/brands from the auto parts store when needed.

If you're new to this, you'd be much better off getting experience working in someone else's shop for a few years rather than trying to run your own. Save your money and spend it on training.

Latest certs with best bulk price is probably wisest. However, if possible, sticking with a popular name is always good as it would make customers associate quality with your services. (some)

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
If you're new to this, you'd be much better off getting experience working in someone else's shop for a few years rather than trying to run your own. Save your money and spend it on training.

+ 1000000000000

You'll learn faster and deeper trying to do it yourself. It's the expensive way to learn. It's best to follow up that failure by working at a well-run shop.

Don't expect your primary business to be changing oil. The only reason for cheap oil change specials is to bring in cars that might need more profitable service. The cheaper the special, the more likely to attract cars with deferred maintenance. Wiper blades take minimal time with high margin. Brake pads are a tried-and-true profit source. Changing belts can be highly profitable on some vehicles, but take a long time on others.

I think most repair shops make very little on oil changes and do it more for a favor to the customer who brings in other more profitable work. My shop likes me because I never have them change my oil (I do ask them to lube the chassis though as I hate that pert of it).

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
I think most repair shops make very little on oil changes and do it more for a favor to the customer who brings in other more profitable work. My shop likes me because I never have them change my oil (I do ask them to lube the chassis though as I hate that pert of it).

Yes, it is hard to make money for $15-$20 oil change special only. It is a loss leader to retain customer so you can repair their cars, or do the more profitable 30k or 60k service that are nothing more than air filter change these days.

If it were me, I'd think Valvoline, Mobil, Havoline, or Wolf's Head, probably in that order.

As a Pennzoil user, as good as it is, lots of people have unfounded negative beliefs when it comes to Pennzoil. I actually say someone say on a forum somewhere that Pennzoil was junk and to stick with Quaker State. He obviously didn't realize they are both SOPUS oils and more alike than different.

Same thing for Quaker State- I've seen it referred to as "Quaker Sludge." Again, unfounded, but you can't stop people from being stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back