Openheimer: The Movie. One person's observation.

Why I asked the question earlier. I don't mind the facts/truth. But Hollywood glamorization? No.

I wouldn't say it glamorized anything about the American Communist Party. But certainly that part of his life started in the 1930s. Good luck not associating with communists as a professor at a large American university in the 1930s.

It did go over his sympathies for union organizing for scientists and engineers. The union had a lot of members who might have been or had sympathies with the American Communist Party since they were distinctly pro workers' unions. But it wasn't necessarily about Soviet style communism.

Having been in Nuclear Power my whole life and having studied nuclear physics....Knowing what they knew about isolating Plutonium and U-235. It should have been literally impossible for them to create 2 different bombs in that period of time.

I found myself looking at my watch quite a bit after about half way. I found it very hard to watch and somewhat boring. It was a little too deep in relationships for me and i generally like documentaries. Made me wish I would have seen Mission Impossible, at least theres a little action.

Openheimer: The Movie. One person's observation.​

Reading the thread title I was expecting a Heisenberg joke but I'm uncertain why.

Last edited:
What did the Neutron say to the Proton in the nucleus?

"Thanks for letting me live here free of charge!"

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Two atoms walk into a bar.

One says to the other, “Dang, I left my electrons in the car.”

The other replies, “Are you sure?”

“Yeah, I’m positive.

Princeton, 1947
einstein_oppenheimer_princeton_1947.jpg

The Movie centered around the personality and life of Julius Robert Oppenheimer.

I went to see it to see how much of the actual physics of the atomic bomb would be disclosed. There are many flashbacks (done in black and white film) to set the stage for the overall background.

What I didn't see discussed was the spontaneous fission (SF) problem. Background: The first Abomb design was to be of the "Gun" design (Thin Man, Little Boy) where fissile plutonium pieces were to be fired toward each other. It was found that Pu239 (Plutonium 239) absorbs a neutron and converts to Plutonium 240 too soon and then sheds excess energy via the emission of a Gamma Ray. So the gun design could not move the necessary amount of critical mass fast enough down a tube toward each other to overcome this problem.

This was when the implosion device (Fat Man) was considered to be the only solution, a device with 32 explosive "lenses" to decrease the fissile material's volume very quickly. It was John von Neuman who solved the shock wave problem for the explosive lenses.

In spite of that, the assembly scene of the Fat Man bomb is very accurate. :cool:

Of course, the Little Man gun bomb, of uranium U235, was never tested before dropping because the lab had determined that a slug travelling at 1,000 fps would cause fission before it disintegrated.

Characters (I'll only mention some of the main characters as the cast was quite extensive):

Cillian Murphy did an excellent job as the chain smoking Oppenheimer (Oppie), showing his visionary approaches to science as well as his human frailties, and as the Scientific Director of the Manhattan Project.

Matt Damon as General Groves, did a tremendous job as the military director of the Manhattan Project. In the movie, Oppenheimer and Groves often clashed on how things should be done, but always came to an agreement with some comedy mixed-in. Groves trusted Oppie to get the job done. Oppie always kept Groves informed of any "hitches" within the project but always offered solutions for any problems, the mark of a good scientist. Both Groves and Oppenheimer had to fight the bureaucracy at times to accomplish their tasks.

David Krumholtz (of NUMB3RS fame) was I.I. Rabi (Robby), who seemed to play the alternate conscience of Oppenheimer, and his trusted advisor and friend. (BTW, it was Rabi's discovery of magnetic resonance that led to the invention of the MRI diagnostic machine). An excellent biography of Rabi was done by one of my former professors, John H, Rigden.

Ernest O Lawrence of the cyclotron "RAD lab" was well played by Josh Hartnett and often brought Opie back to reality.

Benny Safdie played the temperamental and often explosive Edward Teller, who later co-developed the H-bomb. But it was Teller who showed that the implosion device could only be successful by using a U238 tamper plug.

The latter part of the movie appeared to portray Oppie as a martyr because of his association with people in the Communist Party (guilt by association) and by various committees. Both Einstein and others told him not to appear before those committees and to tell the committees to go..... themselves, but he felt he had to uphold his reputation and decided to fight them. In the end, he lost his security clearance due to underhanded actions designed by Lewis Strauss (struss), played by Robert Downey Jr.

This movie is definitely NOT a movie for non-adults as Florence Pugh (who played Jean Tatlock, Opie's communist girlfriend), in which she and Oppie have some rather "disclosing moments."

I think Christopher Nolan did an excellent job showing Oppies character, the sense of the times, and presenting some scientific information.

BTW, the patent on the implosion device and its construction process has never been disclosed and is still classified as secret.

In my personal Opinion, Julius Robert Oppenheimer should have been awarded the Nobel prize for his work in stellar gravitation, and the Atomic bomb at the least. It's unfortunate that at times we punish our heroes instead of rewarding them.
Very good review. I saw it with my stepfather Monday. Best part of the movie was when Strauss fails to get into his “future" role. That made me smile. He befriends Oppenheimer and then tries to screw him over which I despised.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very good review. I saw it with my stepfather Monday. Best part of the movie was when Strauss fails to get into his “future role). That made me smile. He befriends Oppenheimer and then tries to screw him over which I despised.
"David Lawrence Hill (November 11, 1919 – December 14, 2008) was an American nuclear physicist who worked on the Manhattan Project in World War II and was head of the Federation of American Scientists. He is best known for his 1959 testimony against the nomination of Lewis Strauss as United States Secretary of Commerce." Wiki

The Strauss pro-side thought Hill was going to put a nail in Oppenheimer's coffin but Hill spiked Strauss' coffin instead.

Last edited:
"David Lawrence Hill (November 11, 1919 – December 14, 2008) was an American nuclear physicist who worked on the Manhattan Project in World War II and was head of the Federation of American Scientists. He is best known for his 1959 testimony against the nomination of Lewis Strauss as United States Secretary of Commerce." Wiki

The Strauss pro-side thought Hill was going to put a nail in Oppenheimer's coffin but Hill spiked Strauss' coffin instead.
Correct sir. I didn’t research Mr Hill. Thank You sir

excellent movie. saw it last evening with my best friend. i made sure to be well rested before going. it is a very demanding movie.

excellent movie. saw it last evening with my best friend. i made sure to be well rested before going. it is a very demanding movie.

I ate before going in and had water with my meal. I then made sure that my bladder was as empty as possible. I don’t recall anyone leaving early.

That's three hours I'll never get back! Short scenes jumping around through time and locations was annoying, but not as annoying as the musical score, or should I say "noise score". That loud and obnoxious "music" virtually overpowered every scene, including on top of dialogue. I was looking forward to seeing this movie but came out very disappointed because of the way it was made, not the subject.

Here are my thoughts. The story is compelling but a bit meandering due to the editing and it's a bit heavy on interpersonal relationship things and there's not enough about the creation of the bomb. The movie is probably 30 minutes too long.

The score is overbearing during most of the movie. When the score stops on occasion it's a relief.

I frequently enjoy non-linear editing but in this movie, it doesn't add to the storytelling but it results in much of the movie appearing montage-like rather than cohesive. Was IMAX necessary for this film? I don't think so. the majority of the movie is old and wrinkled guys in closeups talking.

No CGI but the practical effects is refreshing.

While I probably come across like I'm ripping into this movie it's a very well-made movie. It's not perfect but it's still going to be one of the top handful of mainstream movies this year. I'll give this 8/10.

So far Anderson's Asteroid City has been my favorite movie this year but I know Anderson's movies are like Marmite, especially this last one of his.

I think I will wait on all this garbage. I have not sat in a crusty theater since at least 2018, maybe 2017.

We tried to watch Way of water bladder or whatever Avatar II is called. Terrible. Maybe made it 10 minutes.
I'm the same way. The last movie I saw, (or ever will see), in a theater was, "Open Range". The movie was good, but the audio was absolutely horrible!

The music was blasting so loud, that by the end my wife's ears were starting to hurt. Then, when the actors were talking, the dialogue was so weak you could hardly hear it. This mind you, in a Harkins theater that advertised about it's "super surround sound", or whatever crap they call it.

Since then we just wait until it's available to watch at home. I wouldn't go to another theater if they paid me.

I'll have to say that the Marcus theater we attended had excellent sound and the dialog came through very clear.

In my personal Opinion, Julius Robert Oppenheimer should have been awarded the Nobel prize for his work in stellar gravitation, and the Atomic bomb at the least. It's unfortunate that at times we punish our heroes instead of rewarding them.

I agree, what was done to Alan Turing was a disgrace. He saved countless lives.

My take is, it was "OK" but that's about it.

Positives: Historically accurate, real footage used, most actors did pretty well.
Negatives: 1 hour too long, too much political posturing and Oppenhiemers personal relationships, not enough action.

It drug on too long. The story could have been told in 2 hrs instead of 3, easy. Loved the scenes of the U of C football stadium. Liked the actual Trinity site footage used. Overall a 6/10 IMO. If known I would never have paid to see it, watching on TV in a few years would have been perfectly fine.

As far as Barbie is concerned, I will never have any use for it. Its a "rage against masculinity" indoctrination, instead of being something cute and innocent for little girls.

Back