Opened up my 01 Suzuki XL-7

Status
Not open for further replies.
My valve covers were leaking.. so I took the 4 hour job of replacing the valvecover gaskets... the sway bar had to come off, part of the intake manifold, some hoses, a radiator hose, I cleaned the valve covers... it took quite a while.

For the first 70k miles I ran it on whatever dino oil was on sale, then I ran Supertech synthetic 5w30 twice to clean it.. until 80k miles, then I tried Mobil 0w30 and to take it off because it was WAY TOO NOISY, and now it is in a healthy dosis of RTS 5w40.
After this I'll probably switch it to whatever synthetic is on sale... it has almost 91,000 miles right now.

838b4743.jpg

03610baf.jpg

c46b2aca.jpg

5218fc68.jpg

Last edited:
I dont think supertech syn would clean anything..

those do look really good.

did you get some cam lobe closeups that dont have glare?

maybe crop to just the cam lobe so it doesnt lose detail with a full picture resize?

looking good though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
I dont think supertech syn would clean anything..

those do look really good.

did you get some cam lobe closeups that dont have glare?

maybe crop to just the cam lobe so it doesnt lose detail with a full picture resize?

looking good though.

sorry.. it's just a sucky 3migapixel camera-phone picture
21.gif

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
wow! that look really good! and clean! cams look good too! what OCI's? on dino and synth?

Dino: 3000
Supertech Syn: 5000
RTS: 8000 maybe
other synthetics I'll try: 6000-10000 depending which

My secret to keeping it clean, tuned-up, and running excellent??

Beat on it and rev it to its 6500rpm redline a few times everyday
19.gif
this thing can do some awesome powerslides

Originally Posted By: Carzzz
Very clean engine!
Isn't that a strut tower bar?

Some manuals and websites call it a sway bar..

and it makes me feel better :)

I worked at a Suzuki franchise in 99-02 before they moved it to another location. The engines were bullet proof. Never had any problems with them besides noise which I never witnessed a breakdown problem. The mechanics could never figure it out. We tried timing chain replacement, timing chain guide, fuel injectors, new cams etc. Nothing stopped the noise. Have a 2.3 Aerio now and it ticked for a few seconds as it dipped into the 60 last night. I am not worried. As I said, I never seen a Suzuki come in on a hook in the 4 years I was there.

From the Suzuki's that we have serviced none have been for engine/transmission troubles... Minor seal issues or power accessory problems.

The Drive systems are bulletproof
thumbsup2.gif
Glad GM left them alone.
grin2.gif

just a quick question for some of the oil experts here. When you see that light brownish colour of the upper engine parts, isn't that a light form of varnish ?. I see that on many engines that are run with group 2 conventional oil, including past vehicles that I've owned. On engines that I've run on group 4/5 synthetic oil I have not seen that light brown colour of the upper engine parts, the parts are always their natural silver colour. Just a quick question about this observation that I've had, been meaning to ask about it for a while and this post reminded me of it.

It is slight varnish, but IMO varnish is nothing to worry about and the varnish in the picture above is extremely light compared to some I have seen.

This is heavy varnish. (engine repair dad & I did) Not the worst I have seen but much heavier in comparison.

2.jpg

4.jpg

Here is one without the Varnish (Same make of engine)

12.jpg

Manuals call that a sway bar?

It is a strut tower brace.

That engine seems t varnishy and has some sludge for only 91 K.
Pretty harmless, but it is no role model, for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back