Open Carry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BalticBob
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Bad guy with gun--who is his first target? Outside of police and military, and while I respect the rights of others, it is just plain stupid to open carry today. Gun owners can receive enough undue attention without attracting more.
Bad guy with the gun first target is the guy .....
1) he went looking for to shoot
2) with the money (or whatever he has his eyes on)
3) with the knife (because he can't shoot back)

Stupid to open carry?
So you are of the opinion Texas gun owners should repeal our hard fought right to open carry? Another step backward for gun owners rights?
If you do not exercise your rights (like voting) you lose them.

If more license holders would open carry it would not be "undue attention", it would be business as usual.

Not everyone has the mental/emotional capacity to open carry, so if it is not for you, so be it.
Open carry is an invitation for a bad guy to take your gun (and never think it is not possible because it is) or make you the first target thereby eliminating a visible threat, and it also an invitation for the public to cause you more aggravation than it is worth. BUT as I said, I respect the rights of others, but I certainly do not prescribe to open carry. I am Texan, have an LTC, was a former LEO, and yes, I know that Texans fought for the right to open carry, but as I also said, I think it is unwise to do so.

What backwards move would it be for gun owners if you could not open carry in Texas? How many do you see doing it on a daily basis versus concealed carry (the point is I have never seen anyone open carry in the Houston metro other than LEO, but perhaps it is different where you live)? I am NOT to here to change your mind or argue the point, you do what you feel is right and I will respect your right to do so, but I do not have to agree with it.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Open carry when hunting, or on your own land away from plain view is one thing.

Doing so in public shows a desire for attention that is better addressed by a health care professional. I can’t imagine a situation where I’d want every memeber of the public that I contact to know I had a firearm.

Having a right to do something doesn’t mean it’s a good idea.

Are you a health care professional?
Or a member of a motorcycle club?

Stupid to open carry?
So you are of the opinion Texas gun owners should repeal our hard fought right to open carry? Another step backward for gun owners rights?

Plenty of things are 100% worth defending as rights, but also stupid in most or all cases.

By all means fight for the right to open carry. The idea that open carry should remain protected as a right doesn't mean it's smart.

There's a right to hate speech, too. Should we exercise that as well, to help uphold the First Amendment?

Not everyone has the mental/emotional capacity to open carry, so if it is not for you, so be it.

Agree 100%.

Unfortunately, a lot of people who lack that capacity don't know they lack it.

Banned here in 2012. California really wants to get rid of our 2a rights. I do open carry on my property which is still illegal. I have 10 acres so a neighbor is not likely to see me.

Last edited:
What backwards move would it be for gun owners if you could not open carry in Texas?

If there wasn't an open carry law, then people without a concealed weapons permit couldn't legally have a gun on them. So it could be viewed as a take away.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
What backwards move would it be for gun owners if you could not open carry in Texas?
If there wasn't an open carry law, then people without a concealed weapons permit couldn't legally have a gun on them. So it could be viewed as a take away.
You have to have a permit to open or conceal carry (handguns) in Texas, so no, not a step backwards.

You have to have a permit to open or conceal carry (handguns) in Texas, so no, not a step backwards.

Think even other laws require “concealed” … vehicle if the owner …

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Stupid to open carry?

Plenty of things are 100% worth defending as rights, but also stupid in most or all cases.

Any examples?

By all means fight for the right to open carry. The idea that open carry should remain protected as a right doesn't mean it's smart.

Like lawfully riding a bicycle in heavy vehicular traffic?

There's a right to hate speech, too. Should we exercise that as well, to help uphold the First Amendment?

Absolutely. Hate speech to one may be love speech to another.

Agree 100%.

Unfortunately, a lot of people who lack that capacity don't know they lack it.

Those that do have the capacity, and know it, open carry.

Illegal in public in Florida, and I hope it stays that way.

For hunting, fishing, and similar, it's great. Going to have guns in the open anyway.

Aside from creating hostile atmosphere, I have no idea what this would be good for.

My only experience with people who wanted others to know they were armed were all completely negative.

Bad guys carry concealed, so why do you want to be like a bad guy?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did the primitives conceal their spears?
Was the West won by concealing handguns?
Did Han Solo conceal his DL-44 Blaster when he became involved in
the Rebel Alliance's struggle against the Galactic Empire?
No, no, and no.

Everyone wants to show off their new handgun, post pics, talk all day about it.
Then will conceal it, not to be seen in public, like it is something to be ashamed of.
Sad, so sad.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Been to Florida, so I agree.
For hunting, fishing, and similar, it's great. Going to have guns in the open anyway.
Guns for fishing? Like a spear gun?
Aside from creating hostile atmosphere, I have no idea what this would be good for.
So you are saying a public shooting range is a hostile atmosphere?
My only experience with people who wanted others to know they were armed were all completely negative.

So all LEO are completely negative?

Bad guys carry concealed, so why do you want to be like a bad guy?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did the primitives conceal their spears?
Was the West won by concealing handguns?
Did Han Solo conceal his DL-44 Blaster when he became involved in
the Rebel Alliance's struggle against the Galactic Empire?
No, no, and no.

Everyone wants to show off their new handgun, post pics, talk all day about it.
Then will conceal it, not to be seen in public, like it is something to be ashamed of.
Sad, so sad.

You’re missing the main point, which is, that you lose any tactical advantage you had, by displaying your gun to an aggressor.

A bank robber or mugger or mass-shooter or terrorist is going to shoot you first.

Sure I like getting all dressed up in my bright socks, trousers, big hat and my leather holster. I carry around my 44 magnum revolver out in the open so everybody can see it. Concealed carry is sneaky and for crooks. Then again I was a state trooper for 30 years and I also still carry a badge, too. I can basically haul around any sort of firepower wherever I want and nobody bugs me except for that time some rookie got bothered about me walking into the bank carrying. I was making a deposit. Thats another story.

I never understood open carry. Although legal here, I personally think its ridiculous and would never consider it. Why on earth would I want to draw unwanted attention to myself? I discreetly carry and like be out of sight out of mind.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Been to Florida, so I agree.
Guns for fishing? Like a spear gun?
So you are saying a public shooting range is a hostile atmosphere?

So all LEO are completely negative?

I didn't think I needed to clarify, but my comments did not encompass LEO, military, etc.

In northern Arizona open carry is common and nobody looks twice or goes screaming for a cop. See it all the time anywhere it's legal.

There's also the line of thinking that if a bad guy sees someone armed he'll go elsewhere. Like the security sign in the yard. If you're armed you have a responsibility to be aware of your surroundings and would hopefully see something about to happen.

Not here ... no permit needed to open carry.

Not here ... no permit needed to open carry.

No permit needed here either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back