Open Carry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's legal here, but I wouldn't do it ... attracts too much unwanted attention.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

That's the way I feel. Imo you don't want people to know you're armed.

I did open carry on the Dallas Police for 32 years. Never again. My weapon is always concealed. I want the element of surprise and don't want everyone staring at my weapon. I was a big blue target for a long time.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

This. Open carry automatically provokes the “man with a gun call” followed by a LE interaction of varying degrees of hassle. Not worth it with all the great IWB holsters out there. I’m not in it to make a point.

Last edited:
Kansas is a open/conceal carry state. People that open carry (in my opinion) most of the time look like trailer trash people. They carry around the biggest handgun they can afford and look like an idiot doing it. I'm all for conceal carry though.

Open carry allowed but WHY? Only at range or at dinner in backyard. Somtimes if in my car but usually stowaway under shirt shirt if I get out to go anywhere. ALWAYS while hunting or trap shooting open carry though. Kansas passed but it also allow CCW. I have permit but voted on hopes more women/elderly could pack to protect children.

Last edited by a moderator:
I open carry.
It's legal in Texas.
Never been "hassled" by LE.
Don't be scared of the gawkers.
I DO want people to know I am armed.

Bad guy with gun--who is his first target? Outside of police and military, and while I respect the rights of others, it is just plain stupid to open carry today. Gun owners can receive enough undue attention without attracting more.

Originally Posted By: wwillson
No, it's illegal here, besides a displayed firearm says, "Shoot me first"

When i walk the dogs, or am in a more desolate area, i open carry. When i am in a public, crowded place, concealed.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Bad guy with gun--who is his first target? Outside of police and military, and while I respect the rights of others, it is just plain stupid to open carry today. Gun owners can receive enough undue attention without attracting more.

Bad guy with the gun first target is the guy .....
1) he went looking for to shoot
2) with the money (or whatever he has his eyes on)
3) with the knife (because he can't shoot back)

Stupid to open carry?
So you are of the opinion Texas gun owners should repeal our hard fought right to open carry? Another step backward for gun owners rights?
If you do not exercise your rights (like voting) you lose them.

If more license holders would open carry it would not be "undue attention", it would be business as usual.

Not everyone has the mental/emotional capacity to open carry, so if it is not for you, so be it.

I live in Douglas County, CO. It is common for people to open carry here, and no one pays it attention. That said, I do not. The only place in CO you cannot open carry is within the city limits of Denver. I go to school there and I do not want to be switching back and forth.

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
Kansas is a open/conceal carry state. People that open carry (in my opinion) most of the time look like trailer trash people. They carry around the biggest handgun they can afford and look like an idiot doing it. I'm all for conceal carry though.

They carry around the biggest handgun because......they don't have to conceal it!

I have been to Kansas, so I know what you describe as "open carry trailer trash" people.
Never seen it in Texas, must be a Kansas thing.

Open carry when hunting, or on your own land away from plain view is one thing.

Doing so in public shows a desire for attention that is better addressed by a health care professional. I can’t imagine a situation where I’d want every memeber of the public that I contact to know I had a firearm.

Having a right to do something doesn’t mean it’s a good idea.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Open carry when hunting, or on your own land away from plain view is one thing.

Doing so in public shows a desire for attention that is better addressed by a health care professional. I can’t imagine a situation where I’d want every memeber of the public that I contact to know I had a firearm.

Having a right to do something doesn’t mean it’s a good idea.

Depends on where you live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back