Open 5 qt shelf life

Hi there! I used a small amount (0.5 qt) from a 5qt jug of 0w20 PUP because I was lazy and didn't wanna go to the store for a 1 qt. I do 3k mile OCI which is about 3 months for me. Do you think the jug that was opened will be OK to use for the next change?

Sorry if this is dumb

😂😂 I just wanna make sure lol

I would be more worried about running that thin oil :cool: :ROFLMAO:

German manual for 2022 outback with FA24.

1712511640826.jpg

Oil doesn't absorb water so being opened matters little. A year+ wouldn't bother me.

now brake fluid.. dont even use a sealed plastic container if its more than a couple years old.
Opened maybe 3-6 months.

I would be more worried about running that thin oil :cool: :ROFLMAO:

German manual for 2022 outback with FA24.

View attachment 212854
I'm under warranty and stock. If motor pops from 0w20 then i get a new motor. My manual says 0w20 synthetic. Only can use 5w30 *conventional* if no 0w20 is available for top off, then drain and refill with 0w20 synthetic asap.

Oil doesn't absorb water so being opened matters little. A year+ wouldn't bother me.

now brake fluid.. dont even use a sealed plastic container if its more than a couple years old.
Opened maybe 3-6 months.
Sweet. I won't worry about it then. Thanks!

I'm under warranty and stock. If motor pops from 0w20 then i get a new motor. My manual says 0w20 synthetic. Only can use 5w30 *conventional* if no 0w20 is available for top off, then drain and refill with 0w20 synthetic asap.
If you wish to have another “thick vs. thin” thread it’s best to start one on its own.

But there are plenty of existing ones if you care to read them, as are existing threads about oil shelf life.

If you wish to have another “thick vs. thin” thread it’s best to start one on its own.

But there are plenty of existing ones if you care to read them, as are existing threads about oil shelf life.
I didn't start the conversation. I've read many of them and decided with stick with what the manual calls for while under warranty

You and Backstache should get together.

So you’ve had this happen to you? And they have denied your warranty claim because you used a grade that was of a somewhat higher HT/HS?
I've seen some stories of warranty troubles when presenting receipts of wrong viscosities. Low likely hood but why risk it? If engine blows, I get a new one. Then I'll switch to xw-30

Back