Ontario Nuclear update

Curious, Overkill, did you watch that vid I posted that is now locked? It will make you mad seeing how an alternative, to a very expensive and inefficient green energy source, such as Nuclear, isn't even talked about.

darlington11.jpg

dngs vacuum.jpg

dngs blades.jpg

Jan 10 1980, Darlington GS, Central Services Bay, foreground lookin gWest toward units #2 & #1.j

MSR DNGS.jpg

Speical crane used to lift Steam Generators into position, March 1986.jpg

tspa_0002384f.jpg

Originally Posted by irv
Curious, Overkill, did you watch that vid I posted that is now locked? It will make you mad seeing how an alternative, to a very expensive and inefficient green energy source, such as Nuclear, isn't even talked about.

Love your Darlington pics
smile.gif

And yes, my daughter and I watched that movie the other day, as she was given a Green Energy project at school and I figured there wasn't a better time to dive into that whole agenda
grin.gif

Originally Posted by john_pifer
Wow. That's some heavy-duty rebar.

Some of the most crazy stuff you can't see, I think irv posted a picture of one of them before? But there are two tunnels that run out into lake Ontario, one is 800m long and the other is 700m I believe (going by memory here, one might be a bit longer than that), one is the cooling inlet and the other is the outlet diffuser, and there is a great deal of space in between them. These are huge tunnels.

It was crazy the amount of rebar that was in some pours. Some way worse than in the pic and some so bad we had to add a plasticizer, which would basically allow it to flow like water, just to get it around and behind some of the rebar.

Add in a bunch of embedded parts such as pipes, flanges, door ways, etc, and some of these walls/pours were impossible to get down into.

I only got stuck once where the rebar guys (rod busters we use to call them) had to come and get me out using something similar to the jaws of life. I only did that once, as to say I paid attention after that incident, would be an understatement.
crazy.gif

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Some of the most crazy stuff you can't see, I think irv posted a picture of one of them before? But there are two tunnels that run out into lake Ontario, one is 800m long and the other is 700m I believe (going by memory here, one might be a bit longer than that), one is the cooling inlet and the other is the outlet diffuser, and there is a great deal of space in between them. These are huge tunnels.

I remember those as well as well as some other pics I can currently find.
Time to get digging to see if I can find them again?

Originally Posted by irv
Originally Posted by OVERKILL

I remember those as well as well as some other pics I can currently find.
Time to get digging to see if I can find them again?

Those pics of the tunnels highlight the key to why both Bruce and Darlington average a higher CF than Pickering, which has shore-level inlets and outlets (Bruce has offshore inlets, shore-level outlets). Darlington was the epitome of CANDU engineering at the time it was constructed, 920MWe units (GROSS) with the same fuel channel count as Bruce, but improved turbine configuration, SG configuration...etc. It was the prototype for the export-ready CANDU 9 (it was the CANDU 900, same thing really) that we (Canada) never successfully sold (quite unlike the C6). Darlington was supposed to host at least 8 units: 2x CANDU 4-packs like Bruce and Pickering but the delays caused by Chernobyl, the economic downturn and skyrocketing interest rates which drove the costs of Darlington A through the roof meant a permanent hold on the 4x B units, which were never constructed as C9's.

Decades later, the plan to build 4x ACR1000's as the B plant was considered, even pursued, with it getting as far as an EA for construction granted, making it shovel-ready. But the Wynne government, on the heels of its predecessor run by McGuilty, had derailed the power generation sector in the province so badly in their pursuit of wind, solar and backup gas that it was infinitely postponed yet again.

Now, it looks like it MAY be constructed using SMR's distilled out of the Federal SMR roadmap. Meanwhile, Pickering managed an 88% Capacity Factor, the best of its life this past year, generating 26.4TWh in 2019, a record for the site. On what could poetically be described as the eve of its demise, old Pickering, the oldest operating group of CANDU's in the world, is performing better now than it ever has. Unit 5 after a maintenance outage is now producing close to 550MWe (NET) on occasion, showing that if refurbished, the old girl has a LOT more in her if she was only allowed to run. Refusing to refurbish Pickering B is a huge mistake, and one Ontario will live to regret, just like the disaster that was the GEA. Another 40 years out of Pickering is on the table with its mid-life refurb, robbing this old girl of that opportunity is an absolute travesty.

Back