Ontario Nuclear Update: March 21st, 2023

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
A few different developments in the Ontario/Canadian nuclear space since my last update last year:

1. Cameco has been tapped to provide uranium hexafluoride to the Ukraine for fuel fabrication to get them away from Russia.

2. The BWRX-300 has completed phases 1 and 2 of the VDR:

3. OPG has submitted a license to construct the above BWRX-300 at Darlington. Site prep is already well underway.

4. OPG's Pickering page has been updated with points about the potential refurbishment:

Screen Shot 2023-02-06 at 7.47.42 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2023-02-06 at 7.48.11 PM.jpg

5. OPG Darlington A is now producing Molybdenum-99:

6. OPG Darlington A Unit 3 is being prepared to return to service. Initial fuel loading started at the beginning of January. This is the 2nd unit to have completed its refurbishment. Unit 1 is also actively being refurbished and Unit 4 is slated to go down the end of this year, and that's the final unit. Ideally, refurbishment staff will then move to Pickering B and start on those units.

7. Bruce Power Unit 3 has gone down for refurbishment. This is the 3rd A unit to be refurbished (1 and 2 were completed in 2013):

8. Bruce Power Unit 6 is being prepared to return to service. This is the first of the B units to be refurbished.

Any thoughts on this?

Yup, sounds like new large build CANDU's are a possibility outside Ontario now. I still think Ontario will be the first mover though, at Wesleyville.

The CFO of OPG was also on record saying "we believe Pickering can continue powering Ontario for decades to come" the other day when touring Pickering with Freeland, so I suspect we'll be seeing a confirmation announcement for the refurb in the coming months.

Back