Ontario nuclear update - January 30th, 2024 - Pickering refurb announced

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
It's official, the government announced the approval of OPG's plan to refurbish the 4x Pickering B units!

Was there for the event, which had very high attendance!

An interesting twist! The plant will be upgraded with a deep water inlet like at Darlington and Bruce, which means a roughly 1km long tunnel along the bottom of the lake so that it draws in deep, cold water far from shore. This will solve the algae bloom issue the plant has experienced during the summer months, which is a result of being located next to the sewage treatment facility.

I remember getting a "quick" tour of Pickering (and Bruce) back in the day. Oh how things have changed.

Thanks for the info.

Good news for sure.

$2 billion seems rather low, dare say reasonable?
Oh, the project will most certainly not be $2 billion, that's "get things in motion" and the engineering work done money. They'll have to put in the order for the 48 steam generators, all the fuel channels, calandria tubes, feeders, control systems...etc. I expect the price will be more than that per unit, which is still a bargain.

Oh, the project will most certainly not be $2 billion, that's "get things in motion" and the engineering work done money. They'll have to put in the order for the 48 steam generators, all the fuel channels, calandria tubes, feeders, control systems...etc. I expect the price will be more than that per unit, which is still a bargain.
Good info, thanks

Back