Ontario Nuclear Update - December 2nd, 2022

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Today marks a huge milestone, OPG broke ground on their first SMR at the Darlington B site:

This is the first time, since 1981, that ground has been broken on a new nuclear project in Ontario.

Darlington A being built:
tspa_0002365f.jpg

It's on folks. The first new SMR is now under construction in North America. Ontario was the first to bat, the first to commit and now the first with shovels in the ground.

So it is $32 million total to build? Seems impossibly low but with a 100% over run, its still cheap I guess :LOL: Any estimates on the cost per kwh produced? Hopefully it works out, as it seems these are going to be popular in the near future.

If governments are serious about reducing CO2, etc, then nuclear power is a way forward. It comes with baggage. It isn't perfect like a Mr Fusion, but the technology and the materials to build it are here now.

So it is $32 million total to build? Seems impossibly low but with a 100% over run, its still cheap I guess :LOL: Any estimates on the cost per kwh produced? Hopefully it works out, as it seems these are going to be popular in the near future.
In March 2022, constructor E.S. Fox was awarded the contract to deliver early site preparation work, which includes water supply, electrical power, information technology and road services.

This work, valued at $32 million, will support over 100 new jobs in the Durham region,” the Ministry of Energy said in a release issued Friday.

The Devil's in the details, IndyIan :LOL:

Who has time to read before commenting anyways? doh!
I thought these are supposed to be cheap, but I guess not $32M cheap!
Yeah, just the site prep is $32 million.

Projected is slated to be around $2-2.4 billion IIRC, with subsequent units coming in cheaper, as they don't need all the prep work done.

OPG's plan is to build this, show they can do it on time and on budget, which will then allow them to be the "contractor of choice" for other provinces who have no nuclear expertise but are in the market for this size of unit.

32 Million??????????????????????????????
The two nuke plants in Georgia are gonna cost 30 BILLION
Thats nothing. We spent $9.8B of taxpayer money on one, but they gave up trying to build it, scrapped the project and sold our formerly good utility to Dominion. Rates went up. I am sure pockets were lined.

I bought a generator :eek:

Back