Online dating

If you are not into bars and other pickup areas, it is an option. Like all these places, lots of damaged merchandise of both genders abound. There is nothing wrong with catch and release.

Rod

Last edited:
I know several people who have met their spouses on there. This is going back 10 years at least now. So it does work. You just have to put in the effort. But they were using paid services like eHarmony or Match.com and not Tinder.

I know a gal who goes online to meet guys, then meets them in person. She mostly has bad luck and runs into guys who don't look nearly as good as their online pictures and description. And a lot of these guys are "defective."

I don't have personal experience, but I do know two couples who've met online, married, and are still together. One of the couples just celebrated their 15th wedding anniversary.

OMG you are in for a ride! Not all but a large majority of women do NOT use recent pics. Often the written text is so not indicative of the correct personality it is a reflection of what they perceive themselves to be or what they want to be; not necessarily what they are. I'm in the 35-48 range (seeking women) and many of truly crazy.

A major issue is the communication before meeting. Not all but many women are very touchy over messages. Either too much or not enough and the slightest irk can lead to ghosting. Very temperamental at that point. The social media aspect allows for some icy cold waters form someone who is supposedly looking for a long term mate. I had long talks on phone and text with a woman who seemed solid. All was well and then she found out I'm a Patriot fan. Oh I can't date you? What? I hate the Jets but I'm not going to let the NFL keep me from a good woman! This is how fickle the online dating scene can be.

And not to pick on women because I have friends who say the "men" on the other side are atrocious and often 35 year old babies.

While it can work it is a long road for sure! I met my current girlfriend at kids basketball game. Traditional ways still the route to go if you can. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by Garrygb
What do you think about online dating? Who has experience?

I did it. It's nice. You can "meet" people at your convenience, and if things seem good, you can meet in person. Huge time saver.

Very very very rarely was I catfished. I think it happened maybe 2-3 times total.

Last edited:
My 21 year old son has had mixed results. He does not do bars, so he finds it difficult to meet girls. Most show up, but some don't. Its too bad for them. He is smart (Deans list), athletic (HS Football and track), well groomed and very attractive young man. I would have loved to have had his looks at his age.

I hate to say this - but it is like a co-part auction. For some reason, you couldn't sell/meet the normal way. Maybe in some cases you are that creampuff lexus trade, had every service, with 75,001 miles that the dealer didn't want to sell. Maybe you are a "run an drive" F-150 with 5.4 ready to pop. Maybe you look great, but have a hole in the frame.
Maybe you are car that was wrecked at the last auction, but fixed up and flipped. Maybe you are just a 70mph Head on biohazard wreck, don't take much to realize that.

In many cases, like others said above, you are dealing with "adult children." Women also get massive attention online (not always well intended) and it raises their expectations very high. They become the 20K seller of a 90s cream puff towncar. We all know that don't end well.

OLD is a big YMMV.

35.gif

Guess I shouldn't be too smug as I'll be in that situation shortly.
Found spouse was seeing a coworker on the sly (hiding texts and phone from me for no reason...well there was a reason, which I just found out last night).
I wasn't angry. She's done this years ago with another buddy of mine and claims it's my fault since I "don't listen enough".
That led to an engagement being cancelled.

This time was the same old excuses...I'm sorry if after 18 years together I'm not pawing at you like we're 20 again.
She claims that if I like, she'll stop seeing the guy (co-worker btw). I said that I cannot nor will not attempt to police her texts and life, nor will I attempt to make her choose b/t me and other dude (who also has a GF).
From the excitement in her texts to her female friend, they seem very into each other...or at least she is into him.
The guy is about 15 years her junior (strapping fella too).
I wish her the best in winning him over with her 20 something wardrobe and Taylor Swift musical score. I'm sure somewhere in Tay-Tay's library she's written and performed something about break-ups and meeting someone new.
If she can't win him over, oh well.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice....

31.gif

Anyone in the market for an IS350 or BMW e30?
lol.gif

No....but seriously, I need to sell them!

I was very lucky that I met my wife at work and we became friends first. I had a messy relationship and breakup with my ex and wasn't looking for another, but sometimes that's the best time to find Ms. Right.

I can't imagine being on the dating scene nowadays. Forget it. I'd rather be single. No shame in that at all.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Guess I shouldn't be too smug as I'll be in that situation shortly.
Found spouse was seeing a coworker on the sly (hiding texts and phone from me for no reason...well there was a reason, which I just found out last night).
I wasn't angry. She's done this years ago with another buddy of mine and claims it's my fault since I "don't listen enough".
That led to an engagement being cancelled.

This time was the same old excuses...I'm sorry if after 18 years together I'm not pawing at you like we're 20 again.
She claims that if I like, she'll stop seeing the guy (co-worker btw). I said that I cannot nor will not attempt to police her texts and life, nor will I attempt to make her choose b/t me and other dude (who also has a GF).
From the excitement in her texts to her female friend, they seem very into each other...or at least she is into him.
The guy is about 15 years her junior (strapping fella too).
I wish her the best in winning him over with her 20 something wardrobe and Taylor Swift musical score. I'm sure somewhere in Tay-Tay's library she's written and performed something about break-ups and meeting someone new.
If she can't win him over, oh well.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice....

Reading this makes me want to go home, grab some flowers on the way and kiss my wife.

Originally Posted by Bottom_Feeder
Reading this makes me want to go home, grab some flowers on the way and kiss my wife.

You should.

And may I suggest a lovely, gently-used Lexus IS350 in a snazzy shade of Matador Red over tan leather for your wife?
I'm sure it'll match any outfit in her collection.
lol.gif

It can work well but it has changed the game that is for sure. First, you need to know what you are looking for. Be honest about it. If you are looking to casually date or hook up, Tinder and others like it will fit the bill. Eharmony and match have less of that.

This dating has turned things upside in a few ways.

Dating ADD: Constantly dating and checking your account for the next best thing. It happens for both sexes. I've know people checking their apps on dates. The constant churn is real and people don't take time to get to know each other before chasing the next patch of green grass.

Real Life Attention Starved= Attention Whores Online
This happens less with dudes but does happen. Women who are physically less attractive or have a less than stellar personal or financial situations can easily fall into this category.

Basically, women get 10 to 100 times more messages than guys do. So guys are just trolling sending messages to a ton of women to see if they get a response. Women in real life who normally don't get any attention suddenly have a ton. That inflates their ego and they can become very selective. Many of these women though get a few dates with one guy and then ghosted after hooking up. Why...next topic

1/3 of the guys on these sites are degenerates. Truth!
Whether it's cheating, being dishonest, or only in it for sex there are some that hide their motives. This just makes things worse for the sincere folks.

This is coming from me, friends, and coworkers over the years. YMMV

Seems to be a good idea during a pandemic. But don't expect the photos to match.

Last edited:
I am sure it has changed to some degree since I last tried it, but it ended up working for me. After divorce in 2002, tried variety of sites, mainly match.com, but got tired of that and after a few fizzled dating periods, had pretty much given up and figured I'd stay single but saw ads for e-harmony and figured one last try. Was looking for long-term relationship/remarriage potentially. Found a good one, but e-harmony makes you work for it. We'll celebrate 12 year anniversary this month.

Originally Posted by Bottom_Feeder
I was very lucky that I met my wife at work and we became friends first.

I heard that sometimes meeting someone at work can be a very good way to get to know someone and find your mate. I point out to friends and family that I spend more time with the folk at work than with anyone else.

Yes, you see a different side of someone rather than the show they put on when meeting for the first time, and vice versa obviously. I knew she was a keeper.

After 30+ years of marriage all I want is a girl friend with benefits. Someone to go on weekend trips to Disney the Space center with etc. Movies with pop corn at home and dinner out on occasion. . Ed

Back