online bank account

I am looking for an online bank. I have the following requirements. Looking for no ATM fee with a good presence nationwide or at least east USA coast(Maine to Florida) Good money market rate or no penalty withdrawal cd rate and naturally FDIC insured.

I spend some time on the road and don't want to carry a large amount of cash on the road and my current bank doesn't have a great network. It is convenient for me and don't want to switch banks but would add a second bank.

Check out your local credit unions. I don't know a whole lot about the ATM thing, but I know that many credit unions belong to a network that allows you to do your banking with any other credit union that's in that network. Just walk into any participating credit union, and treat it as your own.

Some credit unions also have a deal to refund a few atm fees per month.

Here is a list of my online banks I have paying at least 5% interest. I don't know about the ATM situation but most of them probably are no fee or refund the fees.

5.10 last day Bask Bank savings
5.35 last day Brilliant Bank Surge MMA
5.25 last day CFG Bank High Yield MMA
5.01 last day CIBC Bank Agility savings
5.50 last day Elements Financial Helium savings
5.00 last day First Foundation Bank savings
5.30 last day Ivy Bank High Yield Savings
5.00 last day Merchants Bank MMA
5.35 last day MyBanking Direct sav now Flagstar
5.50 last day Poppy Premier savings
5.20 last day Popular Direct High Rise savings
5.16 15th Primis Bank Savings
5.05 last day Purely Digital Bank MMA
5.15 last day Western State Bank MMA
5.00 last day ZYNLO Bank MMA

You dont need money market with Citbank (NOT Citibank) but they also offer it.
Their savings rate (on accounts with $5000 or more is 4.96%) or about that. No strings.
They also have a good rate for accounts under $5,000, also note that they are the internet division of First Citizens Bank and Trust I never used their ATM card, you may have to use it at bank branches, I am unsure but I do know they allow up to and will pay $30 a month in ATM fees for you.

Here are more details https://www.cit.com/cit-bank/resources/products-and-rates

I like them but I also use another online bank just because I had them longer for my checking and debit card withdrawals if I need one. Last couple years I dont use cash anymore.
But Alliaint has 80,000 free ATM points and not only that, they will pay ATM fees up to $20 a month if you use one that is not in network.
Alliant Credit Union really has their act together but rates not as good, I have used them years now and transfer between the above.

Last edited:
I am looking for an online bank. I have the following requirements. Looking for no ATM fee with a good presence nationwide or at least east USA coast(Maine to Florida) Good money market rate or no penalty withdrawal cd rate and naturally FDIC insured.

I spend some time on the road and don't want to carry a large amount of cash on the road and my current bank doesn't have a great network. It is convenient for me and don't want to switch banks but would add a second bank.
A number of years ago I signed up for the discover cash back debit card. For many of the same sorts of reasons. My main bank is TD.

They give I think 1% on debit card purchases, cash from atms anywhere, and easy transfer to a savings account that pays right now I think 4.35%. I’m not trying to chase 5% for the money I keep in there. It works good.

If/when they merge with capital one we will see what happens.

Walmart has the best ATM network I've used. It's not exactly free, cost maybe $1.50-$2.00 per withdrawal, but you get a pack of gum, apple, candy bar, or bag of chips for using it.
Or just go through the self checkout and get a candy bar with your debit card and get cash back...NO FEE at all...

You may want to consider an account from Chime. It allows you to move cash from your main bank and then use ATMs for no fee while you are on the road. It also allows you to transfer cash to other Chime users, and you can use their debit card for debit transactions.

You may want to consider an account from Chime. It allows you to move cash from your main bank and then use ATMs for no fee while you are on the road. It also allows you to transfer cash to other Chime users, and you can use their debit card for debit transactions.
Would I need a checking or Savings account with chime to get the debit card. I assume you access the ATM network with debit card.

JHZR2,

Thanks $100 wont do it!

I have a savings account thru Ally bank that is strictly online. I use my local credit union to transfer money with no fees. May look at them, never any issues

Would I need a checking or Savings account with chime to get the debit card. I assume you access the ATM network with debit card.

JHZR2,

Thanks $100 wont do it!
I don’t know much about chime, but sounds like any bank. It’s not like you can’t transfer funds from bank to bank…

Yeah, $100 a transaction perhaps, but it’s still slow repeat transactions. It’s convenient for sure though… assuming the stores have cash. Many self checkouts at least often have card only signs. And that said, doing this isn’t just a Walmart thing, most every supermarket does it too.

I think most ATMs and debit card suppliers limit cash to $500-600/day.

Don't keep a lot of your cash in a Chime account.

I have read about people that have had Chime accounts having their accounts closed for no apparent reason and the account holders having a difficult time recovering their money. Something about Chime not holding any actual cash.

Chime was targeted for the "unbanked" population. These are people whom may not have the income to keep a running balance over certain minimums. Yes Chime can do bank to bank transactions from what I know.

Back