Onion inspired coolant filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good for you! who cares what the "goal" is you want to do it do it,,,it's a justified modification if you ask me,this is what this site is about,thanks for taking the time and posting about it,thanks to Onion also.

you do realize bill OTRT and heavy equipment have coolant filters by design.

Originally Posted By: daman
Good for you! who cares what the "goal" is you want to do it do it,,,it's a justified modification if you ask me,this is what this site is about,thanks for taking the time and posting about it,thanks to Onion also.

you do realize bill OTRT and heavy equipment have coolant filters by design.

Hey, all I said was what are is gained on doing this? I've put many many miles over the decades without any coolant system failure and never seen a NEED for it. Never had a problem with debris in any system.

So I can't comment on that?
54.gif

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Hey, all I said was what are is gained on doing this?
54.gif

No that's fine...no problem here

but he's gaining a clean coolant system so why not,,why did i put a OP gauge on my lawn mower? cause i wanted to.

but he's gaining a clean coolant system so why not,,why did i put a OP gauge on my lawn mower? cause i wanted to.

You know when you're a BITOGer when....
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak

You know when you're a BITOGer when....
wink.gif

lol.gif
21.gif

54.gif

So you agree that there really is not going to be *any* benefit to a coolant filter on most vehicles just like a oil pressure gauge on a lawn mower.

Remember, there are thousands and thousands of people who look at this site and I just want to make that clear.

Want to do something is a LOT different than NEED.

Bill

it has been proven that a coolant filter system on a 6.0 powerstroke is almost a must. your point is well taken, most people won't keep thier vehichles long enough to see the benefits.
i have an engine that had gone through three water pumps before i had installed a coolant filter, 10 years later same water pump.

the benefit of having a filtration system is well proven, some engines need them more than others

confused.gif

So you agree that there really is not going to be *any* benefit to a coolant filter on most vehicles just like a oil pressure gauge on a lawn mower.

Remember, there are thousands and thousands of people who look at this site and I just want to make that clear.

Want to do something is a LOT different than NEED.

Bill

Right and we all know how you feel about certain issues, but IMO...Always a benefit yes anytime you can filter something or keep something clean it's a positive,, sorry just the way i operate.

So what is the problem with using a Mr. Filter clear fuel filter? I think they are in the $12 range and you can see through them. My only concern is whether or not they can withstand the heat of the coolant.

I think I am going to try this on a poorly maintained vehicle after I flush it and see what happens. The coolant in the vehicle I have in mind looks like a Georgia river.

-Techniker

Originally Posted By: Ursae_Majoris
Read Onion's original post. He tried a clear fuel filter first. It bulged out; did not crack, but visibly deformed.

Well, that answers my question.

Thank you,
Techniker

How can filtering be a bad thing? Unless it prohibits flow, clean fluids can only HELP.
It's like saying "I don't backup my computer because in 20 years, I've never lost a file or had a hard drive crash"
Proving a negative is nigh impossible.
Besides, its fun and looks cool
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: PurplePride
How can filtering be a bad thing? Unless it prohibits flow, clean fluids can only HELP.
It's like saying "I don't backup my computer because in 20 years, I've never lost a file or had a hard drive crash"
Proving a negative is nigh impossible.
Besides, its fun and looks cool
wink.gif

Clear fluids help with what? IF someone does not have a single issues with MANY vehicles OVER decades and the MAJORITY of vehicle have NO ISSUES with "dirty" coolant what is the NEED?

Your last line says it all. And thats fine. But justifying something something that is not needed is going to get called out.

And using the computer has NOTHING to do with it so why bring it up?

Bill

Ah, how would I know Bill would be close behind?
The fact that you haven't (knowingly) had any degradation in efficiency without a filter does not mean it wouldn't have helped, or added longevity to your vehicles' cooling systems.
The last part was a but of a joke, but the computer analogy is apropos. you have no idea how much longer a cooling system would remain efficient and in top-form if you had included a filtering system. You have no control to compare it to. So, to poo-poo it blindly is as dopey as saying it's a great idea without same data.
Why not live and let live Bill? Unless someone posts something detrimental to their vehicle, why not look at these things as fun and/or useful? You often seem [censored]-bent on having to bring folks and their practices to the "it's stupid/a waste" level.

394,000 miles no coolant filter.(1986-2010) 325,000 miles no coolant filter.(1982-2010) More than 250,000 miles(1978, 1993, 1994, 1996, 2003 ALL still running) with no filter. All on "dirty" coolant. And I'm just one of the MILLIONS of operators that have no problems with "dirty" coolant.

Quite a few people read this forum and take what we post as FACT. I want and will continue to post that while this project may be fun, may do something it is not a PROBLEM that most vehicles NEED.

Good project. Just want people reading that this something that really does not matter and will not extend that life of the motor/cooling system.

Thats all I'm saying. There is a reputation that I want to keep for this board. I've been doing that since the beginning and will continue to keep things real.

Bill

Fair enough. But this last post explains at better than your previous ones which to me, are overly critical.
I know you don't like to "waste money", and I don't propose people do that, but just because someone spends money on things you think are wasteful, it doesn't mean it is.
Again, I'm 100% for BAD info being filtered out. In cases like this, nobody has put forth evidence this this practice is harmful.
In fact, I've seen reads where people reuse oil filters way beyond normal and they had no issues with their engines either...but is it a good idea? Not for me!

Agree totally. As an ASE master tech in both Med and Heavy and Automotive there are cases that coolant conditions now, especially after taking the latest Carquest training about coolants, their types, effects of no maintenance, cavitation and chemical degradation and abrasive damage from cavitation is huge. GM even suggests coolant filters for systems that are experiencing aluminum oxide damages from otherwise "clean fluid" if flushing wont remove it enough. If you have to do a pump or heater core on a car that takes 24 plus hours on a mercedes, are you willing to do it again next month for free due to unseen contaminants..not me. Proactive maintenance is usually easier and cheaper than fixing stuff after the fact. I'm not saying to go out and install it for kicks but if you want the best protection and can afford it why not. By-pass filters are a great example. Not necessary but a huge help and benefit. Just my two cents...

In theory, clean coolant should lead to longer lasting water pumps, etc. In some vehicles, they may be overbuilt enough that they'll still last a long time without a filter, but cleaner fluids certainly don't hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back