One Universal ATF for CVT and Conventional Automatics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found this during a google search:

https://www.aftonchemical.com/Afton...TEC-3488/HiTEC-3488_PDS-web.pdf?ext=.pdf

Using their new HiTech 3488 additive system, Afton claims it is possible to have one ATF fluid be compatible for both CVT's and traditional automatic transmissions. Currently, CVT fluids cannot be used in conventional automatics due to the significant differences in the friction modifiers.

Is this Afton product an example of a significant engineering breakthrough, or is this yet another example that application-specific ATF's are a dated concept?

Ohh good, more ATF to debate about!!
grin2.gif

Paging Mola, need some expert commentary over here!

Is their product approved for use in my transmission that requires ATF+4? If not, I'll be sticking with the ones that are approved for my application.

I can't see a consumer who is capable of changing the fluid themselves, wanting to save money so badly they'd risk using a fluid that might be jack of all trades, master of none. Especially when manufacturers these days scream at you to only use proprietary fluids for their transmissions to begin with. Given the overall brittle reputation CVTs have, who would use this except a business that doesn't want to stock two different types of fluids lol.

Also only two years shelf life? [censored], that's another strike lol. Valvoline doesn't even have any published shelf life figures for unopened MaxLife so I'd assume five years or indefinite.

A "big deal" product announcement which seems inexcusably vague to me.

The OP said, "Using their new HiTech 3488 additive system, Afton claims it is possible to have one ATF fluid be compatible for both CVT's and traditional automatic transmissions." Ahhhh....OK, if they say so.

The link to Afton's site mentions a "17.2% by weight...." (or some such verbage) but is beyond vague describing how the stuff is mixed by the tech or consumer. There's a mention of some dark brown fluid.....

I can't see most people successfully mixing 17.2% of anything. "mitigating misapplications" (or some such) is laughable.

I'd regard this product the way Dracula regards sunlight.

Kira, this is not a product available for DIY like Lubegard. It is a commercial additive package available to commercial blenders such as Valvolene, BG, MAG 1, etc..

Originally Posted by The_Nuke
Is their product approved for use in my transmission that requires ATF+4? If not, I'll be sticking with the ones that are approved for my application.

This is unclear, but I think the goal is for the finished product to be used in out-of-warranty vehicles where having a licensed product is not important.

I've had good luck with Maxlife ATF. A broader do-everything product that could be stocked for CVT's and conventionals sounds interesting to me. Not that I'm ready to get a CVT just yet.

Originally Posted by ctechbob
Ohh good, more ATF to debate about!!
grin2.gif

Paging Mola, need some expert commentary over here!

About 9 months ago I received a brochure from Afton regarding the Hitec-3488 additive with an offer for a 1 liter can.

I requested the following: a specifications sheet, a properties sheet, and a set of Mu(v) charts.

I received the first two but not the third. Until I see a comprehensive set of Mu(v) charts to prove it will cover both CVT and step-shift wet clutches, I remain very skeptical.

Last edited:

Seems like someone took up the gauntlet and released it into the wild. Who knows if it is the same additive package, but looks like Castrol is giving it a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back