one product to complete clean and protect interior ?

include leather , only one i found that work on everything inside the car is, chemical guys total interior cleaner. I feel this product just a water down version. Any other one ?

No. It is impossible to both clean and protect the myriad materials in the interior of an automobile and any product making that claim is lying to you.

Oh, it might clean, but to whatever extend it is good at that, it can't both protect leather and keep everything else clean of the oils/waxes/silicones needed to keep leather long lived.

Nope, just as you don't clean your kitchen countertops with the same thing you use on your leather couch, this is the scenario inside a car. Smaller space and less surface area is no difference in best practices for each material.

PS - Avoid any pro automotive product for this purpose unless you just like paying a premium for no better result. This is not aerospace tech stuff, the various detergents, conditioners, etc, are available for 1/10th the price per application. Okay, some snake oil marketing agent will tell you THIS IS AEROSPACE STUFF (lol) because they are banking on consumer ignorance. It is a complete ripoff to buy any automotive cleaner or conditioner product for automotive interiors, and even worse when they try to pretend it doesn't cause as many problems as it solves if you use it on everything.

Backing up a bit, do you have a difficult cleaning job? Dust needs no solvent or detergent. Grime, depends on what it is. Conditioning leather, that's a different ballgame of gentle foaming surface surfactant that doesn't pull out the oil in the leather too much, unless it's really nasty and that is necessary then you add it back with a conditioner which is pretty old school, not so applicable to the chromium/etc tanning on finishes in recent years.

One product to rule them all? Gasp! ;)

You have to clean separately as stated. However, I am finding one protectant giving great results - 303. It is working great on plastic, wood, leather, rubber. It is a sophisticated wax so that stands to reason.

I use a leather conditioner on the entire interior.

I have done the same in the past with good results. I now find 303 to work better - longer lasting, less build-up, easier application. Both would work, though.

include leather , only one i found that work on everything inside the car is, chemical guys total interior cleaner. I feel this product just a water down version. Any other one ?
. ^^^This works well if you need something ASAP.^^^

^^^^My favorite product of all in this list.^^^^

Last edited:
One product to rule them all? Gasp! ;)

You have to clean separately as stated. However, I am finding one protectant giving great results - 303. It is working great on plastic, wood, leather, rubber. It is a sophisticated wax so that stands to reason.

I have done the same in the past with good results. I now find 303 to work better - longer lasting, less build-up, easier application. Both would work, though.
Which 303 ?

Something I’ll spray on anything in the interior is Meguir‘s Interior Detailer. I’ve used this stuff on every surface inside, even sprayed it on leather and it seems to clean it, however conditioning it? No.

Leather is just so strange. You clean it, but be careful not to clean it too much now. You can ”condition it”, but be careful because you’ll change the chemistry of the leather, darken it or cause it to soften a bit too much! Don’t want to do that! Oh my heavens, no! And then after all of that we sit on it every day - depending on what you do for a living you can really dirty up that seat. And remember, you don’t want to clean it too much now! lucky for us there’s a thousand different products, all claiming they’re the best. Bottom line, it’s going to crack, it’s going to fade, it’s going to wear, it’s going to lose its dye, it may peel off in sheets (is that even leather at that point?) and there’s nothing you can do about it. I’ve even had one person tell me don’t do anything to it except wipe it done with a damp rag every so often, or you’ll damage the protective coating they apply at the factory. Heck, the guy probably is right (although he pees himself every time someone turns on the microwave, so I’m not so sure).

I just Lexol clean and “condition”. I imagine most of it ends up on my jeans in a week.

what kind of leather, most are sealed now.

You will really need two products. I use Griots Leather 3 in 1 Spray for the leather and any other soft touch materials. The dash, armrests, and dash plastics can be taken care of with this stuff. For glossy plastics, clear pieces and screens another cleaner is better. That way you avoid streaks and smears.

The Griots product is one I recommend for your case.

You do not need a leather specific product unless you have aniline unsealed leather.

If water sits on the surface, it is coated or sealed leather. Woolite and water at 1:5 works great. Follow up with a damp microfiber to remove any residue.

For UV protection/dressing, I really like Chemical Guys Silk Shine.

P&S xpress interior cleaner is my new jam... safe for all surfaces, cleans well, foams up when agitated and leaves no residue. It leaves behind a matte finish, which can be left alone. For additional protection, I'll apply 303 to a vinyl surfaces.

I'll use a leather specific cleaner/conditioner for deeper cleaning/protection... for maintenance P&S works great.

You do not need a leather specific product unless you have aniline unsealed leather.

If water sits on the surface, it is coated or sealed leather. Woolite and water at 1:5 works great. Follow up with a damp microfiber to remove any residue.

For UV protection/dressing, I really like Chemical Guys Silk Shine.
Woolite works really well on seatbelts too.....

I mostly use a mf cloth and water or meguiars all purpose cleaner plus to clean interior and megs natural or supreme shine on dash and door panels.

Collinite 855 on leather seats

I'd be hard pressed to recommend a product to clean and protect that's going to be worth its salt. By nature, a cleaning product is going to need to dissolve dirt and remove oils/siloxanes. Most protectants are going to put down oils/siloxanes. The two don't really mix. I clean interiors with CarPro MultiX diluted 4:1 and protect with CarPro Perl diluted 5:1. MultiX will clean every surface and Perl will protect every surface except screens.

I'd be hard pressed to recommend a product to clean and protect that's going to be worth its salt. By nature, a cleaning product is going to need to dissolve dirt and remove oils/siloxanes. Most protectants are going to put down oils/siloxanes. The two don't really mix. I clean interiors with CarPro MultiX diluted 4:1 and protect with CarPro Perl diluted 5:1. MultiX will clean every surface and Perl will protect every surface except screens.
Multi-X is more versatile but I use Inside (diluted 1:1) with their Innerscrub mitt. The innerscrub is like a microfiber version of a scotchbrite pad. Works great.

I try to avoid any protection on interiors since the surfaces are already coated from the factory (unless you have real leather). The "protectants" are really just diluted silicone dressings that add gloss and attract dirt.

^ very true. The protectants are just diluted silicone.

I only use a damp cloth or Meguiar's Quik Interior for any plastic/interior.

Back