On the topic of tie rod ends…

Took the car in for an alignment, Firestone said I needed new inner and outer tie rods - their alignment tech said the threaded part is seized. I tried to bust the rods loose, nope. So they aren’t pulling my leg.

Of course, OE Toyota is best - but $130x2 for the inners and $60 for the outers. The outers are reasonable against the aftermarket but a bit steep for an older car on the inners. I’m looking at the Turkish-made Delphi reboxes of Deeza, Moog’s too much of a crapshoot - I dunno if I’m getting a aftermarket Japanese(555 Sankei) or Korean(Central) part in that yellow and blue box. I know Deeza was held in regard here. Not going Mevotech or Chineseium. What’s the consensus on Turkish undercar stuff?

If the they're truly seized.....You'll need Rack Boots as well. Has heat been applied to the outer tie rods along with actual force applied to the inners? An open end wrench isn't enough.....Channel Lock 410's or Snap-on/Bahco PWZ's.

Last edited:
If the they're truly seized.....You'll need Rack Boots as well. Has heat been applied to the to the outer tie rods along with actual force applied to the inners? An open end wrench isn't enough.....Channel Lock 410's or Snap-on/Bahco PWZ's.
I haven’t tried heat yet. I doubt the shop used heat either. Will a propane torch work, or I’m gonna need to find someone with an oxy-acetylene setup? Also, will heating the rods ruin them, or there’s a chance they can be salvaged?

I’ve seen Rainman Ray’s Repairs use these:
https://a.co/d/53CiFip, I’m tempted to get those or the ChannelLock 410s.

I use Oxy-Acetylene. I would mostly be concerned with saving the inner tie rods & boots. Extend the rack all the way out on the side you're working on, Unclamp the boot & slide it in far as possible then heat the tie rod end. I would also remove the tie rod from the knuckle/up right and use a tie rod socket on a impact if needed.

I have run into this a couple of times on old cars in the salt belt where heating would not loosen it. I just did them on a 16 year old car, some garage tried to align it a few years ago when he got new tires and couldn't get the tie rods or the rear toe eccentrics loose so they said leave it. The new tires were all scalloped after 2K.
I couldn't get them loose with 2x 24" Swedish pipe wrenches and an oxy acetylene torch, after a few minutes of that happiness I just used a cutoff wheel on them (sawzall works too), got new inner and outers and new OE boots. It was the easiest and cheapest way to go. OE outers and 555 inners and used never seize on all the threads of the new outer ones.

I had to cut the rear lower arms out (also a common problem) put 2 new ones in with all new bushings and eccentric bolts again plenty of never seize. In CA you shouldn't have this much trouble but you never know.

I’ve seen Rainman Ray’s Repairs use these:
https://a.co/d/53CiFip, I’m tempted to get those or the ChannelLock 410s.

Those are common Swedish pipe wrenches, they are the norm in Europe and work well.

I have run into this a couple of times on old cars in the salt belt where heating would not loosen it. I just did them on a 16 year old car, some garage tried to align it a few years ago when he got new tires and couldn't get the tie rods or the rear toe eccentrics loose so they said leave it. The new tires were all scalloped after 2K.
I couldn't get them loose with 2x 24" Swedish pipe wrenches and an oxy acetylene torch, after a few minutes of that happiness I just used a cutoff wheel on them (sawzall works too), got new inner and outers and new OE boots. It was the easiest and cheapest way to go. OE outers and 555 inners and used never seize on all the threads of the new outer ones.

I had to cut the rear lower arms out (also a common problem) put 2 new ones in with all new bushings and eccentric bolts again plenty of never seize. In CA you shouldn't have this much trouble but you never know.

Those are common Swedish pipe wrenches, they are the norm in Europe and work well.
That wrench in 14 1/2 inch is on discount at Amazon right now, $65.35- 42 percent off. Ships from the UK, shipping is free but about three weeks. I just bought two. Of note- two recent views had the tool break during usage. Quality may have a issue.

Back