OMG FOUND GREEN!!! Now have some questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG!!! My first day of scavenger hunting to 8 different local autozones in TX led me to found 16 qts of GC GREEN!! I bought 20 qts total of the GC but i think 4 of them are the gold ones...
I do have some questions but first let me tally up what i have...
i have 4 GC that has the date code of M05075XXXX.
i have 6 of M04280XXX.
I have 4 of M03042XXX.
I have 6 of M02338XXX.

Questions for you GC experts.
1)Is the M02338XXXX's shelf life still good to be used in a modern 06 engine?
2)I noticed that the front labeling of the M03042 and the M02338 is different from the M04's. The label on the older ones had "Protects in ways other oils cant!"... does this sound right? I only know of the "outperforms" label. But all of them had made in germany on the back.
3) Is M05075XXXX green or gold?

My observations while finding GC...
New 0w-30 GC with the "European Formula" on the back has MB229.5 and no porsche approval on the back.

GREEN GC and older GOLD GC has the porsche and only MB 229.1 and 229.5.

My advice for green gc hunters... go to the most ghetto-looking autozone in the neighborhood!!! The GC greens i found were in the most ghetto part of the suburb. The bottles were all dusty and looked pretty old.

Thanks for any comments, answers, BITOgger's!Welcome any questions.

Well i just opened up the M05075 and it is indeed the gold GC... Wow.. i also opened up the m02338XXXX, and it is GREEEEEEN!!!!

Another question is... can i mix the gold GC with the green GC?

cheers.gif

So viele Fragen, junger Elf Student.

If your auto can take SL/CF or the listed Euro specs you are fine with the 02 brew. I still have lots of 02 left and use it without concern. Anything past 0501 is Gold. The Porsche approval came and went because as far as I know, Porsche is now recommending nothing lower than a 40wt. The labels went through changes so nothing you described should concern you. I know of no reason why you cannot mix the two...I will only mix if I come up short as my Green runs out, but I WILL mix them without worrying if that happens.

Thanks pscholte, i will mix the gold and the newer greens first and save the 02 and 03's later. In response to your comments, i can use API SL/CF, so YAY!! I feel really gay now.
lol.gif

It just sucks because my '06 V8 Nissan Titan takes up about 6.5 qts of oil... i wish the autozone that i cleaned out had some more of the green GC.

The stash I found the other day is M02338 as well, 4 years old?? Makes me a little worried. Is this stuff still good?

I will tell you with a high degree of confidence that if you use any unopened batch by the 7 year point you will be fine. I just rearranged my stash (423.5 pounds worth [(240 qts/4) x 7 lbs per gal] to adjust for oil I have used and to get it all in a nice date sequence...turns out that while I do have some late 02 stuff left, my major holdings are 03-05. In fact I have A LOT of 03. I will use in date order so my 02 should be gone by 07 so I feel very comfortable about the age.

just picked up 7qts of the gold gc and i will be running it in my 04 titan. i could not find any of the green. hope the gold it as good as the old elf stuff..lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back