OLM question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this has been discussed before, and I did a search earlier, but I didn't have time to thumb thru all 90+ threads, so here's my question:

I bought the Grand Am new, and changed the oil ~1300 miles (dealer) and then again ~4200 miles using M1 5w-30 (yes, I reset the OLM), figuring that would be a good enough break-in period for switching over to the M1. Currently I have ~8700 miles and was planning on switching over to GC within a few hundred miles, but was wondering if I should just keep the M1 (and also the future GC) in there until the OLM comes on, or just change it out at a set mileage. Reason I'm asking is because I was thinking maybe with less than 10K miles the engine might still be "breaking in" and might not quite yet be ready for an extended drain. Well, extended as opposed to going the traditional 3K OCI (which I wouldn't do on M1 or GC anyway lol). Should I dump the M1 @ 5K and then start using the OLM for the GC, or would you guys think the M1 would be good to go till the OLM tells me to change.
dunno.gif

BTW... I drive about 60/40 hwy/city, and I practically grandma the car (gas prices tooooo high to step on it)..FWIW.

FWIW. I know a lot of people think that a engine won't breakin using a synthetic oil to early. Question is then, why do you still have wear metals in UOA when using synthetics.
I use Mobil 1 in my vehicles. Presently we have a 2005 GMC Envoy with the 5.3L. I put Mobil 1 5W-30 in at 742 miles. No oil burning issues. I've done this before and didn't have any problems then either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back