OLM at 50% after a year

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been a year and the oil life minder on my wife's Honda Accord is still at 50%, only 4K miles on the Mobil 1 0W20.

Would you or would you not change the oil now?

Well, you live in a moderate climate and M1 is a stout oil, even though I'm not using any at the moment.
I'd let it go a while longer, unless this 4K consisted of 2000 two mile trips, of course.
If the car is driven far enough to warm the oil up and keep it there on a regular basis, the oil is probably fine.
Also, Hondas are typically not really picky about oil.
There have been UOAs here of various oils where the time interval exceeded a year, and the results were pretty good.
If you only put 4K on the car in a year, use a cheaper oil and change it once a year.

You still under warranty? Honda has a 1 year max recommendation regardless of MM%.

Likely fine, but under warranty I'd change it. Just me.

After warranty, your call.

Powertrain, yes. New Vehicle, no.

I think I will have it changed soon. This car doesn't get much usage, but 4000K a year is not typical, more like 8000K.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
You still under warranty? Honda has a 1 year max recommendation regardless of MM%.

You could contact Honda and ask if you could go longer cosidering the remaining MM%.
Otherwise just change it.

Your dash oil light will blink at 15% remaining. That's when to change your oil and filter. Unless your trips are short and the engine never warms up, I would leave it in for another 3K. That's about the mileage to reach 15-20% life remaining.

Last edited:

+1 Me too. I never go past 1 year.

Originally Posted By: Doog

So if the OLM for Honda is 12 months max then why is OLM not saying to change the oil.

Is the OLM in need of repair or is the 12 months max OCI incorrect ?

Originally Posted By: virginoil

So if the OLM for Honda is 12 months max then why is OLM not saying to change the oil.

What you're experiencing is normal. Our Fusion, if our driving conditions are right, will let the OLM go way over 10,000 miles. I think some owners have reported reaching 0% at over 14,000 miles. Like your Honda, our Ford's owner's manual says to not go over 10,000 mi / 1 year. But this only applies when under warranty. I figure they do this to somewhat save their rear end, in case by some chance some lubrication-related failure occurs while the powertrain is still warranted. Ideally though, outside of your warranty period, you could likely safely go the full term of the OLM, even if it takes 2 years to reach 0%.

Originally Posted By: virginoil

Honda MM does not sense a time only reading.

Honda's Owners Manual says follow MM% for OCI, up to a 1 year max interval. No need for MM repair.

i would probably change out the oil. if you only drive long distance each trip and have no issue on oil life. either way, definitely oil filter, the internal filter material/structre would concern me.

UOA then decide.

35.gif

^How can you say no to that face?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back