Older Ford C4 Automatic ATF Recommendations Please

I have a classic truck, a 56 Ford with a 5.0L H.O. and a C4 Automatic. I don't know what the donor car was for either one, but it's obviously important that I maintain them. So, while I understand the recommended ATF was likely Type F back whenever this transmission was manufactured, I am wondering if any of the more "modern" ATF's available on the market today would be recommended. Is it better to stick with what was originally used? Any input is appreciated.

Any dexron/mercon type fluid will be fine. Ford would tell you that Mercon V is what you should use. Personally, I would use Valvoline or SuperTech dex/merc in it and do a fluid change about every 20 or 30k miles.

I am pretty sure you can still buy Type F fluid from a couple places - can't you?

If you can't Mercon V was supposed to work. Probably the stuff in the "type F" bottle might even be mercon V now days.

Thank you for the replies. Type F is still available, but I was wondering if the new "formulas" that weren't around "back in the day" might provide better protection and performance.

I have a classic truck, a 56 Ford with a 5.0L H.O. and a C4 Automatic. I don't know what the donor car was for either one, but it's obviously important that I maintain them. So, while I understand the recommended ATF was likely Type F back whenever this transmission was manufactured, I am wondering if any of the more "modern" ATF's available on the market today would be recommended. Is it better to stick with what was originally used? Any input is appreciated.
Type F ATF is widely available from every auto supply store I have visited.

Then there is

a synthetic type F.

"Super F® ULV
0W-8 SYNTHETIC TYPE F RACING ATF

ATI’s new 8 weight Ultra Low Viscosity Super F is perfect for low horsepower, heads up racing and qualifying runs. This 100% mPAO based synthetic,is recommended for use in GM Powerglide, T350, T400, Chrysler TF727, TF904, Ford C-4, C-6 and other non-electronic transmissions."

They should get a new formulator and a new tech writer.

How much fluid is needed? Would like to do this on my ‘64 Falcon with an early C4 as well. Drop pan, change fluid and filter.

Back