Old wasp nests

They seem to be empty now, but do you leave them there so they don't come back to the same place, or do you knock them down so they don't come back to re-inhabit them?

They seem to be empty now, but do you leave them there so they don't come back to the same place, or do you knock them down so they don't come back to re-inhabit them?
Knock it down or leave it, doesn't matter.. They will not come back to the tattered nest. A new one is constructed somewhere else when the weather warms up. Honey bees are the only ones that might move into a vacant "hive".

Last edited:
On a home or shed/etc, I'd knock them down and wash residue off. Elsewhere, depends on the effort required. They will chew off old nest material and use it to make new nests faster, as well as any weathered bare wood you have outdoors.

I usually remove. It's kinda like picking up the yard, I wouldn't leave pine cones and branches and leaves down. I don't crazy about removing immediately after killing the nest, but if I have any reason to be up there doing work, then off they come.

I guess it depends on the kind of wasp. Once I flooded a nest that was established in the soil of a potted plant. If they had built the nest in regular ground it would have probably been OK, but in a pot it was easy to just flood them completely out.

I’m not a wasp psychologist, but If the Queen Wasp returns to a nice nook where last years hive is unmolested, she might build another one one next to it. In cold climates, all the worker wasps die and the Queen hides out in a crack somewhere where hopefully ( for future wasps), she does not die.

The Wasp Whisperer. Kill, Kill,Kill !

Back