"old" vs new iPhone XR

Status
Not open for further replies.
My current 3 year old iPhone 7 which I really like has a loose charger port (worth $100 trade in) and is downright annoying charging with pulled cable held by rubber band. Apparently $100++ to fix and self remedies did not work. I won't consider Android which is likely better cheaper just like the integration with iPhone/Mac for work reasons.

I picked up a iPhone XR (not yet opened so returnable for 14 days) for $250 off retail(catch pay 24months) from my provider. I understand Apple is coming up with a newer model within the next week.

Would you wait for next model?

That is precisely what I'm doing. I have an iPhone 8, my wife "downgraded" from a 7 to a 6S... claims she wanted a headphone jack, I've seen her use it twice lol...

We'll either get the older models discounted or get the newest ones, we'll have to see.

The iPhone you just picked up has wireless charging which might be the best feature you like.
I'd only wait for the upcoming iPhone if you want a better camera.

I'm dithering on 6S or 7. 7 is newer and likely supported longer (and would be less worn out, hopefully), but 6 would have a headphone jack which i'm starting to use more--at work I listen to youtube on my phone, seems to work better on the phone than on my work computer, last BT earbuds can have connection problems that a wired pair doesn't have. My Moto G4 is turning 3, seems ok, but lacks a fingerprint reader and I'm starting to feel left behind. Wireless charging sounds great, right until I realized how many chargers I'd want to buy.

Personally, for as much as I use it, I still can't bring myself to spend that much. These devices are really only good for 3 years of usage, I figure. Yes like anything else they can last longer; but in terms of amortization, 3 years is about all you can hope for / plan for, before you either want to replace, it gets worn out / broken, or stops getting supported (ok more like 5 for Apple). Point is, amortized out, a new phone is past my pain threshold, so I vote older even if it's more apt to quit sooner rather than later.

Apple has some cool stuff but the latest & greatest is rather spendy.

If the iPhone does what you want it to do then I would hang onto it. The XR will be supported for some time to come. The most important thing to consider are the iOS updates. When your iPhone won't accept the newer system versions then you have a decision to make.

I have a 6. They stopped the updates for it a while back so I am stuck at iOS 12. Along with a dying battery I may upgrade here in the near future.

My wife and I upgraded our 6+ and 7+ last year for iPhone XR's. So far, we're both very pleased with our purchase.

Battery life is the best of the new generation, thanks to the LCD screen, which we both think is just fine.

It only has one camera, but it works really well and has a lot of the software features the more expensive models have.

I've grown used to and now prefer face ID and the lack of home button. It is noticeably thicker and heavier than my 6+, but not enough to be a deal-breaker.

//

I think this year's XR replacement will have two cameras and obviously a stepped-up processor.

I'm never of the "front-line of technology".

I wait for items to depreciate at least 60%-70% from new before I buy.

I've got better things to spend my money on.

Prices of the current models will drop when the "new" one comes out. Will it drop more than what you got yours for, no idea.
I tend to be 1-2 models behind. I am on an iPhone 8 now since I got a great deal on it when the XR/XS came out, was happy with the 7 I had, but wife was still using an iPhone 6 and was getting slow, so upgraded her to my old 7.
I have no idea when I will get another iPhone, I don't like the face id since I open my phone a lot without looking directly at it, and fingerprint works very well for me. So unless they come out with a phone with fingerprint ID again, I will be in no rush for a new one.

It's strange. I don't even own a cell phone but pay for the wife and college daughters plans. My wife has an older Samsung and is resisting any upgrades as she is comfortable with it. Recently I had to change the battery in it. Took 30 seconds and cost $20 from Amazon. My daughter on the other hand has always wanted what is newest/fastest/smartest etc. She has the latest Samsung from 2 months ago, it was $$$$. I have owned a couple Apple products over the years and thought they were pretty intuitive and performed well. My brother and his wife only use Apple for their phones, desktop and laptops. Won't consider anything else and have never owned anything else. When I broach the subject with my daughter about maybe getting an Iphone over an Android she flatly refuses. Throughout her grade school years Apple was the product that was used in the schools. Her take home laptops were always Apple and her friends cell phones in elementary and middle school were predominately Iphones. When she started high school and now college that changed. She continued with her Android phones and PC based laptop's. Now when her friends are around you never see an Apple phone among them. I thought maybe it was cost related but it isn't as many have phones that are on a par price wise with Apple phones. I'm talking a couple dozen young adults and zero Apple phones. On the other hand, about half my co-workers are Apple only. I'm thinking it may be age related. Being as how every sub 30 year old on the planet has their nose permanently planted in their phone and that demographic seems to be shunning the Apple products, at least in my realm of perception, it begs the question why? Is there a place to get sales statistics in North America for sales of Android versus Apple phones broken down by age?
A little side story about laptops. My brother the Apple only fan was visiting a few weeks ago, he had a new Mac laptop with an i7 processor iirc. My daughter had her relatively new Lenovo with an i5. We were eating out and they both were utilizing the restaurant's wifi. A contest developed between them with their laptops compared performance. My brother actually got angry when the $700 Lenovo outperformed his Mac on every test they could conceive of. I didn't have the heart to tell him that it had a solid state drive and the maximum amount of memory that would fit. Without those factors I'm pretty sure the outcome probably would have been different.

While new model might come out soon. It normally near a full month before they are shipped and/or in stores.

This is where most carriers start their promos.

I'm a 7+ owner myself, while nothing is wrong with my port just yet. If i was in your shoes and i would hold off for the next few months if possible to see what is on the horizon, either the new iphone or deeper discounts on the XR.

If you need/want a phone right now. Nothing wrong with the XR. I've seen friends own it and looks good to me.

Me personally, i rather have a Iphone 8, because it same shape as the 7 and does wireless charging. If you like the fingerprint this is the winner. The wife has the XS+ and eh.

I must be a old. I'm perfectly happy with my i5 and my i5S. If Apple would bring out another smaller phone (updated SE) I'd buy it, but for now, as long as my two present phones work, I'll keep them. They do everything I want.

I'm waiting to see if the new iPhones are going to be 5G capable. Not that 5G will be available like 4G for a long time but at least it can use that network if I happen to be in the area of one.

Buy the phone I have Apple stock. Buy 2 or 3 new phones ,,,, everyone.

Last edited:
I have an iPhone XR that was issued for work. It is one of the worst devices I've ever used with respect to ergonomics.

Originally Posted by Rat407
I'm waiting to see if the new iPhones are going to be 5G capable. Not that 5G will be available like 4G for a long time but at least it can use that network if I happen to be in the area of one.

They won't be. That's 2020.

Originally Posted by sloinker

A little side story about laptops. My brother the Apple only fan was visiting a few weeks ago, he had a new Mac laptop with an i7 processor iirc. My daughter had her relatively new Lenovo with an i5. We were eating out and they both were utilizing the restaurant's wifi. A contest developed between them with their laptops compared performance. My brother actually got angry when the $700 Lenovo outperformed his Mac on every test they could conceive of. I didn't have the heart to tell him that it had a solid state drive and the maximum amount of memory that would fit. Without those factors I'm pretty sure the outcome probably would have been different.

A test of a restaurants WiFi isn't really a fair comparison... my base model dual core i5 MacBook Pro is quicker at most things except graphics intensive tasks than my brothers quad core i7 gaming laptop with double the RAM.

Back in July, I was limping along with an iPhone 6 that was in the ballpark of 4 years old. I'd replaced one screen(it fell out of my shirt pocket without a case), plus did the $30 battery last year. It was having some issues, though-namely that its reception had degraded to the point where it no longer worked in a good part of the basement at work(where I spend a lot of time, and also where I need to be reachable if away from my desk) and the built-in handset volume was so low that hearing with a lot of background noise was futile.

I needed a phone, and at the time a friend advised waiting because new ones were on the horizon. I went ahead and got an XR-it's not the first time I've bought a phone close to end of cycle, and honestly I've never regretted it. In this case, I needed it now, and decided that the XR was the best option for me. Also tying into the "need it now" thing, new models often have sporadic availability after their initial release.

My biggest complaint about the XR is that it's a heavy beast(it made me appreciate just how light the 6 is) and also the screen is almost TOO large. Holding it with one hand, I have a hard time sometimes reaching the far edge of the screen. With that said, though, I like it. The lack of a home button took a few days of getting use to, but I don't miss it now. FaceID was also a bit of an adjustment, but I've found that on the whole I like it better than Touch ID. I appreciate the fact that it works when I'm wearing gloves, or if I do something stupid like sand my fingerprints off(that's caught me a few times with touch ID). In normal use, it works so seamlessly that I don't even think about it. About the only times it catches me are in the morning when I grab my phone to check it and am still half asleep-FaceID will fail because I often only open one eye, or because I'm holding the phone too close to my face. Under normal circumstances, with the phone at a "natural" distance, it just unlocks without my thinking about it.

Originally Posted by Linctex

+1
I am still using my 4 year old lg flip phone.

Originally Posted by jakewells
Originally Posted by Linctex

+1
I am still using my 4 year old lg flip phone.

It is not a money issue however its nice to get 45% off the price with what I have in hand unopened. I would be happier to get more then 3 years out my iPhone 7 but fixing not worth it as charger port replacements apparently are junky parts and don't last.

Using my phone I generate roughly 10% of my billable consulting hours via business chat, email, code reviews etc sitting typically waiting around for my kids activities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back