Old Union 76 10w-40 in 1991 Honda Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going through the garage at my parents house and found an old case (probably late 1990's) case of Union 76 10w-40. Would this be okay to use in a 1991 Honda Accord?

What is the API label?

Car is 1991, oil is late 1990's?
Please think about it! It probably is OK letter wise....
But still it's a little older 10W-40. (That's why I wouldn't use it!)

It's API SJ.

I wasn't sure if the 10w-40 would be bad for the car since it calls for 10w-30. Does it make a difference that it is (A) an older car, and (B) I live in Arizona where the summer heat can reach 120 degrees?

Heck, use it for 3k or so. Free oil!

In a 13 year old car, in the Arizona desert, a 10w-40 shouldn't hurt anything.

MikeR

Too thin for Arizona summer.

Fred..
smile.gif

Considering that crude is is in the ground for a zillion years or so, I wouldn't worry about refined oil spoiling too much. Use it, I used new "SF" oil in an 89 Honda for 3000 miles and it was fine. Some guys here might get the shakes over the thought of it but my guess is your Honda will run fine on no oil much less new oil that is "old".

I just filled my crankcase with some SJ oil that has 1998 on the label copyright. Seems to be running just fine. If oil can be thrashed in your engine for 3000 miles and still give a great UOA, I would think 5-7 years of sitting on a shelf would not matter.

"SJ" came about for the 1997-2000 vehicle model years. The shelf life of oil is, conservatively, at least 4-5 years. In Winter, Phoenix typically doesn't get much colder than freezing (low 30s), and the traditional min temp for 10w-40 oil is 0 degrees F. If it calls for 10w-30, bumping up to 10w-40 won't hurt in the oven you call "Arizona Summer." Personally, for your '91 Honda in AZ, I'd feel free to use up this oil year-round, then switch back to 10w-30 later if that's what it calls for.

I believe 5W-30 is the Honda spec for Accords in that generation. We ran 5W-30 in our 87 Accord all its life, engine was in great shape at 165K when we sold it. But we have temperatures like yours only 3-4 months of the year.

Anybody with a 4th generation Accord (90-94) running 10W-40, in a climate similar to integrare? Our friend in Austin, 427Z06, might have good advice.

quote:

Originally posted by STSinNYC:

Anybody with a 4th generation Accord (90-94) running 10W-40, in a climate similar to integrare? Our friend in Austin, 427Z06, might have good advice.

I have a '95 Accord, F22B1 engine, calls for 5W-30, I used 15W-40 in it with no problems at all.

You could take the SJ oil and mix it with some newer stuff. It's probably fine by itself, but this could be insurance in case it's not quite as good as it was new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back