Old toro lawnmower help

It is an OHV engine as most are. That cover at the front that says “OHV” is the valve cover. That motomaster lawnmower 30 weight is overpriced but it’ll be fine for your mower. Usually Napa has Pennzoil straight 30 for cheaper and I’d rather use that.

It is an OHV engine as most are. That cover at the front that says “OHV” is the valve cover. That motomaster lawnmower 30 weight is overpriced but it’ll be fine for your mower. Usually Napa has Pennzoil straight 30 for cheaper and I’d rather use that.

Ahh so it does say ohv, sorry about that.

Thank you so much.

Ive already purchased a new spark plug, but cant find the filter as the "toro tune up kits" have different shape filter. *dumb question * is it ok to rinse the filter and complete dry it in the sun?

Ahh so it does say ohv, sorry about that.

Thank you so much.

Ive already purchased a new spark plug, but cant find the filter as the "toro tune up kits" have different shape filter. *dumb question * is it ok to rinse the filter and complete dry it in the sun?
I can't remember if this engine had a solid foam air filter element or a paper one.
If it is solid foam, wash it out in the sink with warm water and dishwashing detergent (like Dawn), squeeze it dry (it doesn't need to sit and get completely dry), then put a couple of tablespoons of motor oil on it and work the oil in thoroughly (IMPORTANT!!!).
If it is a paper element, do not try to wash or clean it, just replace it. You can find a replacement by getting the engine model number off of the front of the cooling shroud and looking it up using this model number.

Last edited:
Those are excellent mowers, and like stated above they mulch fantastic. The most important thing is keeping the oil full. You can use 0w30, but it might burn some being an older splash lubed engine, so just be sure to check it. Personally I'd use an SAE 30, or 15w40.

Back