Old threads getting locked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not sure I fully understand the point of locking old threads. Can somebody please explain this? If the information is still relevant and the thread is kept civil, I personally don’t see an issue.

The alternative would be making a new thread followed the OP receiving “use the search, read your manual etc etc” responses. (This example doesn’t apply to recent events, but it has happened.) I’ve revived semi old threads because they have good info in them and I felt my question would add additional good info to an already good thread.

So what do moderators prefer?

I think there's a limit on when resuscitation makes sense and when a new thread, that perhaps mentions the old thread in the OP, is the better route. Bringing back a thread from 2008 when 90% of the people posting in it are no longer here, well, that doesn't make a lot of sense. Reference it, sure, but reviving it? No. On the other hand, maybe one from 2018 or 2019, that could be fine as folks involved are still actively participating.

Usually the scenario goes like this. The original thread from years ago was about oil or filter choices. Then it gets resurrected with a answer when we know it’s way beyond the expiration date and makes no sense.

Some threads are definitely worth bringing back as a update on a situation. If the thread is being used as a reference then perhaps the better way is to link to the thread.

Some of this is coming up because of the new similar threads feature.

I've accidentally replied to older threads as a result of that feature. When scrolling through, sometimes you end up replying in an older thread, and you don't exactly realize the screens have changed (happens quickly) until you've typed your reply (and then see the older, similar thread on top.)

Absolutely true sometimes the older topic has older information.. Not always the case.

This is perhaps the only forum I've seen where bringing back an older thread does NOT get met with snarky, unhelpful "Wow, look at that old thread!" replies.. The "Use the search function" reply happens fairly frequently.. which I think excellently counters the OP's point, is there always a problem in doing this?

I still think this forum is very civil, so, hopefully we can keep it that way.

This is the only forum I’m on that doesn’t like to have old threads revived. And if the moderators don’t want it then that’s fine. I personally find it fascinating to read and see the old threads and all the members from the past. On one of my other forums the other day someone revived a thread from 2001 and we talked and it’s still open. I can see the point however. I always think it might bring back some of the old members when they get the email that someone replied to their threads so that to me is why it might be useful.

Some of the replies above answer the question quite well.

If the question is interesting start a new topic. Having a conversation with inactive members makes no sense.

Sometimes the thread is being revived just to continue an arguement. Again not productive.

Most topics end because they've run they're course.

I always think it might bring back some of the old members when they get the email that someone replied to their threads so that to me is why it might be useful.
I'm not sure that email notification works for threads created prior to Xenforo migration (mid 2020), unless you manually re-subscribed yourself post migration.

I have that feature completely disabled - getting too much email as it is. :)

I'm not sure that email notification works for threads created prior to Xenforo migration (mid 2020), unless you manually re-subscribed yourself post migration.

I have that feature completely disabled - getting too much email as it is. :)
Oh ok didn’t know that part. 😀. I have only been here since August of last year.

Some of the replies above answer the question quite well.

If the question is interesting start a new topic. Having a conversation with inactive members makes no sense.

Sometimes the thread is being revived just to continue an arguement. Again not productive.

Most topics end because they've run they're course.
I take this to mean good info added to an already good thread is okay then? Inactive members or not.

It can be a special degree of liveliness where two or three newer threads got choked off with reference to an older, more original one, then the original one get's shut down with a hint to open a new one instead.

I've accidentally replied to older threads as a result of that feature. When scrolling through, sometimes you end up replying in an older thread, and you don't exactly realize the screens have changed (happens quickly) until you've typed your reply (and then see the older, similar thread on top.)

Absolutely true sometimes the older topic has older information.. Not always the case.
I have too. Frustrating when you catch yourself afterwards. Lol

I take this to mean good info added to an already good thread is okay then? Inactive members or not.

There are very few dormant topics that have information that has not been repeated many times over or obsolete.

Linking to a dormant topic that contains pertinent information as suggested above would be preferable.

As noted in the replies above, a majority of topics getting locked, are members who replied without realizing the date of the last reply.

The softwares choice of 'Similar threads' can also contribute to the confusion.

This is the only forum I’m on that doesn’t like to have old threads revived. And if the moderators don’t want it then that’s fine. I personally find it fascinating to read and see the old threads and all the members from the past. On one of my other forums the other day someone revived a thread from 2001 and we talked and it’s still open. I can see the point however. I always think it might bring back some of the old members when they get the email that someone replied to their threads so that to me is why it might be useful.

Agreed. Most groups or forums ten members will tell you to use the search feature. This forum they tell you this is an old topic create a new thread. It really makes no difference either way. Just different from the norm.

Agreed. Most groups or forums ten members will tell you to use the search feature. This forum they tell you this is an old topic create a new thread. It really makes no difference either way. Just different from the norm.

Different in a good way.

One thing I find is that when an old thread is revived with a new question, people will not read the whole thread but will answer the original question. This isn't actually unique to old threads, but it seems to exacerbate the issue if it is an old thread.

I also don't think notifications work on old threads (i know several of mine have gotten revived and i didn't know until i stumbled on it). (the XG10575 thread for example)

I agree the similar threads is confusing ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back