Old Recalls - How Are They Handled?

JHZR2

Staff member
Ill soon be the owner of a 1996 Ram 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel. I always wanted one, and happened upon a good deal for a 2wd that will serve some near-term needs for a work truck well.

I ran the VIN, and found that there are some open recalls... I have no relationship with the nearby or any Dodge dealer. So what happens next? I suspect they will hesitantly take it in to do the work? Or will they because it is so old? Since this is an older truck with higher miles, can they deny the work for any reason (any sob story excuse they wish?).

Whats the best bet for getting this all done?

Year: 1996 Make: DODGE Model: RAM REGULAR CAB 4X2
Number of Open Recalls: 3

NHTSA Recall Number: 00V-135 Recall Date: May 10, 2000 
Manufacturer Recall Number: 875
SUMMARY:
THE AFFECTED VEHICLES WERE BUILT WITH AN IGNITION SWITCH AND WIRING THAT COULD OVERHEAT.
SAFETY RISK:
THIS COULD CAUSE THE IGNITION SWITCH AND WIRING TO OVERHEAT.
REMEDY:
DEALERS WILL INSTALL A RELAY AND OVERLAY HARNESS.
RECALL STATUS:
Recall INCOMPLETE

This recall data last refreshed:
Jul 25, 2020

NHTSA Recall Number: 01V-037 Recall Date: February 12, 2001 
Manufacturer Recall Number: 970
SUMMARY:
THE THROTTLE CONTROL CABLE MAY FRAY AND EVENTUALLY BREAK. THE THROTTLE CONTROL LINKAGE JOINTS MAY CORRODE AND CAUSE THE THROTTLE TO BIND OR STICK.
SAFETY RISK:
EITHER CONDITION COULD INCREASE THE TRUCKS STOPPING DISTANCE AND CAUSE AN ACCIDENT WITHOUT WARNING.
REMEDY:
THE THROTTLE CONTROL CABLE, THROTTLE LINKAGE ROD ENDS AND LINKAGE BALL STUDS MUST BE REPLACED.
RECALL STATUS:
Recall INCOMPLETE

Jul 25, 2020

NHTSA Recall Number: 01V-040 Recall Date: February 12, 2001 
Manufacturer Recall Number: 973
SUMMARY:
THE SECONDARY HOOD LATCH MAY CORRODE AND BIND IN THE RELEASED POSITION.
SAFETY RISK:
IF THE PRIMARY HOOD LATCH IS NOT ENGAGED, AND IF THE SECONDARY LATCH BINDS, THE HOOD COULD OPEN UNEXPECTEDLY AND CAUSE AN ACCIDENT.
REMEDY:
THE SECONDARY HOOD LATCH MUST BE REPLACED.
RECALL STATUS:
Recall INCOMPLETE

Ill soon be the owner of a 1996 Ram 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel. I always wanted one, and happened upon a good deal for a 2wd that will serve some near-term needs for a work truck well.

I ran the VIN, and found that there are some open recalls... I have no relationship with the nearby or any Dodge dealer. So what happens next? I suspect they will hesitantly take it in to do the work? Or will they because it is so old? Since this is an older truck with higher miles, can they deny the work for any reason (any sob story excuse they wish?).

Whats the best bet for getting this all done?

Year: 1996 Make: DODGE Model: RAM REGULAR CAB 4X2
Number of Open Recalls: 3

NHTSA Recall Number: 00V-135 Recall Date: May 10, 2000 
Manufacturer Recall Number: 875
SUMMARY:
THE AFFECTED VEHICLES WERE BUILT WITH AN IGNITION SWITCH AND WIRING THAT COULD OVERHEAT.
SAFETY RISK:
THIS COULD CAUSE THE IGNITION SWITCH AND WIRING TO OVERHEAT.
REMEDY:
DEALERS WILL INSTALL A RELAY AND OVERLAY HARNESS.
RECALL STATUS:
Recall INCOMPLETE

Jul 25, 2020

NHTSA Recall Number: 01V-037 Recall Date: February 12, 2001 
Manufacturer Recall Number: 970
SUMMARY:
THE THROTTLE CONTROL CABLE MAY FRAY AND EVENTUALLY BREAK. THE THROTTLE CONTROL LINKAGE JOINTS MAY CORRODE AND CAUSE THE THROTTLE TO BIND OR STICK.
SAFETY RISK:
EITHER CONDITION COULD INCREASE THE TRUCKS STOPPING DISTANCE AND CAUSE AN ACCIDENT WITHOUT WARNING.
REMEDY:
THE THROTTLE CONTROL CABLE, THROTTLE LINKAGE ROD ENDS AND LINKAGE BALL STUDS MUST BE REPLACED.
RECALL STATUS:
Recall INCOMPLETE

Jul 25, 2020

NHTSA Recall Number: 01V-040 Recall Date: February 12, 2001 
Manufacturer Recall Number: 973
SUMMARY:
THE SECONDARY HOOD LATCH MAY CORRODE AND BIND IN THE RELEASED POSITION.
SAFETY RISK:
IF THE PRIMARY HOOD LATCH IS NOT ENGAGED, AND IF THE SECONDARY LATCH BINDS, THE HOOD COULD OPEN UNEXPECTEDLY AND CAUSE AN ACCIDENT.
REMEDY:
THE SECONDARY HOOD LATCH MUST BE REPLACED.
RECALL STATUS:
Recall INCOMPLETE
Safety related recalls are forever. Give your local dealer a call and ask for a time you can drive in for them to run the VIN. They'll be able to tell what recalls are open that specifically apply to your vehicle. If anything applies to your VIN, they'll get paid to take care of it by the manufacturer.

I'm assuming this is a private sale? If a dealership was selling it, I believe they are required by law to check and fix any open safety recalls.

I had a 1984 Honda Accord that started smelling like gas. I couldn't find the problem. Sure enough Honda had a recall or tsb for the fuel filler neck which had rotted out. They fixed it free of chargeb it somehow broke my radio antenna. I talked them into giving me a new one.

Depends on the state. Internet's a big place, blanket statements are suspect. However, it's a huge legal liability if it's a safety recall. some reading
Not in Texas. The only used vehicles being sold here that are required to have the recalls performed are those that are being sold at the franchised dealer's used car lots, and are not required by the state but by the dealer's franchise agreements, and only on their own brand of products.

No, they are not.
We are required to in California. And that is any dealer, even the buy here pay here.

When it comes to old recalls, we usually have to order the parts. There have been cases when the parts for a recall are obsolete. At that point the Service Manager calls Ford/Mazda for guidance.

They should take care of it no problem. If the fix is not a relatively short one, they may set you up in a loaner as well.(y)

I keep getting recall notices for the cruise control switch on my F-350 --- the one that catches fire. The problem is, I don't have the sensor/switch as my truck doesn't have cruise control.

On my 95 Wrangler, I got the recall for the parking brake assembly. Something had to be replaced with the foot pedal. The body was so rotten that the foot pedal assembly was laying on the floor. Always wondered if they would perform it for me.

Back