old oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What can i do with 11 quarts of Castrol GTX that had been setting around in the garage for at least 9 years? Every bottle is still sealed. Any buddy want a vintage bottle?
grin.gif

yard sale it. $.25/qt There are lots of hilbillies that come out of the woodwork and will buy this stuff.

Or buy some new GTX and return that old stuff to Walmart (Evil! Just kidding!)

Originally posted by eljefino:
[QB] yard sale it. $.25/qt There are lots of hilbillies that come out of the woodwork and will buy this stuff.

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Actually, if it were the right grade, sealed, and SH or better, I might buy it. It's probably still good to run out in an older vehicle. Would have to know more particulars, but it's probably ok. Still a lot of older vehicles on the road. Should be good @10 yrs. if sealed.

If you have a firepalce or have many burn piles use it burn with the fire. Many people use old oil to start fires.

SJ is not that old of a rating. I still have some SJ bottles left and use it to top off. Especially if near an oil change and don't want to use "good" oil for just a brief time period. But still don't want to run it "low" either. In fact some people prefer the SJ rated oils over the SL rated ones due to the higher phosphorous and zinc levels. My 1996 Ford Contour is spec'd for SJ.

Whimsey

[ October 28, 2004, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: Whimsey ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back