Old Nissan 140 OB - Oil Question

I have a 2000 Nissan/Tohatsu 140 on my fishing boat. I have always used Cabela Synblend TS oil in it which has been 18 years. Cuz she is getting older
I was wondering if I should change to something higher grade oil for injection - like AMSoil Marine TS?

I run it about 50-75 hours a year.

BTW - I have not done a compression check for at least 10 years so I don't know what that is these days. I planned to do one when I get ti out of storage in a week or so.

Feedback appreciated.
Tim

It seems like you are sold on the Amsoil. Does the engine burn / use oil?

At this point run what has worked for you so far. If it runs well (the same as last season) no need for a compression check. You are most likely to have a fuel related problem if there is anything at all.

Last edited:
I have a 2000 Nissan/Tohatsu 140 on my fishing boat. I have always used Cabela Synblend TS oil in it which has been 18 years. Cuz she is getting older
I was wondering if I should change to something higher grade oil for injection - like AMSoil Marine TS?

I run it about 50-75 hours a year.

BTW - I have not done a compression check for at least 10 years so I don't know what that is these days. I planned to do one when I get ti out of storage in a week or so.

Feedback appreciated.
Tim
Is it one of the carbureted 2 strokes or is it TLDI direct injection? If the former, any TC-W3. If the latter, DFI oil only. I use either Tohatsu complete advantage or BRP XD-100 in my TLDI. I'm pretty sure they are the same oil. The amsoil injector oil is supposed to be a direct replacement for XD-100 so should be good too.

I looked at Cabela's / BassPro and they have this stuff: "
Formulated and safe for use in direct Injection outboard motors – NMMA Certified

There's marine motor oil, and then there's Bass Pro Shops® 2-Stroke Marine Engine Oil Semi-Synthetic Blend"

That's fine for your motor either way and is crazy cheap... The full synthetics run $50/gallon or so.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for all your feedback - much appreciated.

Not stuck on Amszoil, a friend uses it in his older 150 Merc 2-Stroke and says it feels like it runs smoother with it?

I guess, I was wondering if there is any advantage in using full syn oil considering its age.

Thanks guys for all your feedback - much appreciated.

Not stuck on Amszoil, a friend uses it in his older 150 Merc 2-Stroke and says it feels like it runs smoother with it?

I guess, I was wondering if there is any advantage in using full syn oil considering its age.
I'd say if it's a TLDI motor, yeah. The synthetics are good enough that Evinrude had a programmable setting to use less oil on XD100. If you plan to keep it and the price doesn't put you off....

If it's not a TLDI I'd stick with TC-W3. Not sure about the Amsoil but I just looked at a jug of XD100 and one of Tohatsu Complete Advantage and neither of those are certified. Probably ok but not intended for that use.

Stick with what you are using, worked well for all these years and is good oil. Made by Amalie I think.

Thanks to all for your input. I'll stick with the Cabela/Bass Pro blend. Like Alarmguy & RTexasF stated it's worked to this point so I won't mess with it.
I figured I post the question to get folks thoughts, people here know a hell of a lot more about oil than I.

Back