Old man thinking about Honda civic SI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in my late teens and early twenties I had more than a few people tell me that I would get tired of musclecars/sports cars/sports sedans and that I would "graduate" to a cushy land yacht. Well, here I am at the ripe old age of 62 and there isn't a single rolling sofa in the garage. And my next car will almost certainly be another fast track toy- think: Mustang GT350, M2C, or Cayman S. The only luxoboat I've EVER lusted after is the Alpina B7; you gotta love a 4900 lb. sedan that scorches the quarter in 11.5 seconds and doesn't run out of breath until somewhere north of 200 mph...

Originally Posted by cos
The previous gen Civic Si, like any other naturally aspirated four banger, has no low end torque! You have to rev the [censored] out of it/beat on it to get it to go - no thanks!

You say that, but the 5-60 and 30-50 of the old 2.4L is still notably superior to the new fuel dilution issue embattled 1.5T, and the 50-70 is only slightly worse.

Originally Posted by MCompact
Back in my late teens and early twenties I had more than a few people tell me that I would get tired of musclecars/sports cars/sports sedans and that I would "graduate" to a cushy land yacht. Well, here I am at the ripe old age of 62 and there isn't a single rolling sofa in the garage. And my next car will almost certainly be another fast track toy- think: Mustang GT350, M2C, or Cayman S. The only luxoboat I've EVER lusted after is the Alpina B7; you gotta love a 4900 lb. sedan that scorches the quarter in 11.5 seconds and doesn't run out of breath until somewhere north of 200 mph...

I've gone from sports cars to SUVs because of location, but even barring that, I'm liking how they act on 10 hour road trips. 70+dB at cruise really wears on me.

See, I bought my first 7er when I was 22. Ruined me forever, so I always bounce back and forth between big sedans and sports cars.

I love my sports cars for sure, but the big teutonic sedans keep me crawling back.

Op,

Look into a newer EcoBoost Mustang with a 6 speed manual.

It's zippy, pretty fast, economical and it's RWD.

A very lightly used one will cost you less than $20k

Last edited:
Originally Posted by rooflessVW

See, I bought my first 7er when I was 22. Ruined me forever, so I always bounce back and forth between big sedans and sports cars.

I love my sports cars for sure, but the big teutonic sedans keep me crawling back.

I really don't think I'd want anything bigger than the M340i loaner I had a couple of weeks ago. However, I wouldn't turn down an an E38 740i Sport...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by donnyj08
Op,

Look into a newer EcoBoost Mustang with a 6 speed manual.

It's zippy, pretty fast, economical and it's RWD.

A very lightly used one will cost you less than $20k

Same can be said for the Camaro 2L turbo. An that is an arguably much better enthusiast engine from sounds and attitude.
But I have stayed away from Camaro because of the "M1 Abrams tank" perch behind the wheel. Killer claustrophobic.

Again give me a lightly used drop-top Bimmer M roadster to check all the boxes.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

Again give me a lightly used drop-top Bimmer M roadster to check all the boxes.

I'm actually considering picking up a 1998-2000 M Roadster. For me the less exotic S52 motor is a plus from a DIY standpoint. The key is finding an unmolested low mileage example.

98-00 M roadster is nice.
Motor and trans are relatively easy and cheap to keep running but the interior will nickel and dime you to death if you want to keep everything 100% working. Have owned a 98 328i which is basically detuned M3 in US and has not been cheap over the years. It is still fun though even being 20+yrs old

Originally Posted by glock19
Originally Posted by Donald
Subaru Crosstrek is a fun car to drive also.

How exactly?

Actually it is a very fun car especially on the twisties, if thats what you are into. Best handling car I have ever had. Sticks like glue with AWD and rigid suspension. Don't worry about pot holes. And although its gutless at the top end...manual shifting with paddle shifters is great. To me it makes manual obsolete.

And 50+ of my driving years I had manuals.

Subaru Crosstrek is a fun car to drive also. Reasonable price.

Down a gravel road doing way excess of likely 25MPH speed limit I absolutely agree. On paved roads not so much compared to a Civic SI.

Can't go wrong with a Civic, but what's your thoughts on "just a little over 20 grand?" A bare bones base model Civic LX is over $20K.

I'm the same way. I'll drive sports cars-coupes till the day I die.

Originally Posted by Al
Originally Posted by glock19
Subaru Crosstrek is a fun car to drive also.

How exactly?

Actually it is a very fun car especially on the twisties, if thats what you are into. Best handling car I have ever had. Sticks like glue with AWD and rigid suspension. Don't worry about pot holes. And although its gutless at the top end...manual shifting with paddle shifters is great. To me it makes manual obsolete.

And 50+ of my driving years I had manuals.

What year? Our 17 isn't "fun in the twisties" as when you get past 6/10th it gets dicey.
Part of that is the Yokohama Geolander tires. The initial steering crispness is a Yoko trait.
Its gone with the Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 replacement on our car - but it now has a smoother ride and is more forgiving if you go over 6/10's now.

These are solid cars - I would say what a moden VW Type 3 should be.

If you have fun in your car that's all that matters.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by JTK
Can't go wrong with a Civic, but what's your thoughts on "just a little over 20 grand?" A bare bones base model Civic LX is over $20K.

Kia Forte coupe stick or sedan even.. WAY, way under 20K.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back