2010 Mazda 3i Touring vs. 2009 Civic EX Coupe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to throw a curveball out here. How about a new Focus sedan or coupe? I test drove one recently and it is a very nice car for the money and its somewhat related to the Mazda 3. They have a nice interior, good power, decent handling and a nice manual shifter/gearbox (I know your friend would probably get an automatic..).

Do you know what criteria your friend is looking for? Price, fuel economy, resale value, size?

I would think you could get a base Sonata for the prices of the Civic EX and the 3. It might not worth much in 5 years though. It's more substantial of a car though.

edit: 2009 Sonata GLS auto w/ popluar equipment package: $20550 - $3000 rebate + $720 delivery = $18270 . The dealer close by here seems to have a boat load of them. If you have a dealer with a lot of inventory then you might even get it for a lot less.

Last edited:
She went and drove the Mazda 3 and Civic back-to-back today. She liked the Mazda 3 better.

Now the difficult part is deciding between the 3i Touring w/moonroof or a 3s Sport without any options. The price is the same. The 3s gives you better brakes, better engine, fog lights, sliding armrest, dual exhaust, fog lights, etc. However, it guzzles more gas.

What options is she missing besides the moonroof? Really, unless she's wanting to street race, the only thing I'd care for out of those things you listed is the sliding armrest and fog lights. Does the other model have at least a basic armrest and does it come with other amenities like nav? If so, go touring.

The i Touring does not come with an armrest and it is not available as an option either.

Hmmm, I hate to get hung up on silly things, but after having an armrest in every car I've had in the past 7 yrs, I don't think I could go without one. Check eBay and see if you can get it that way? Or is it integrated into something else that the touring doesn't have?

Originally Posted By: The Critic
The i Touring does not come with an armrest and it is not available as an option either.

Hold on -- are you sure? I know it's not the 2010 but my friend's Mazda3i has the same armrest that my GF's 3s has .. not a sliding one but just a normal center console cover.

Originally Posted By: rationull

Hold on -- are you sure? I know it's not the 2010 but my friend's Mazda3i has the same armrest that my GF's 3s has .. not a sliding one but just a normal center console cover.

I haven't had a chance to look at the 3i Touring in person, but the brochure shows that the 3i Touring does not have an armrest.

Tell her to pick the one that is the cutest. Err well in this case that would be neither. Get a VW Jetta, girls seem to like those.
09.gif

I'd say Mazda. I'm not impressed by the current-gen Civic after riding in my friend's 06 Civic sedan with nav. Not a lot of interior room for the exterior dimensions. I always felt squished when riding in it, and I'm an average-size guy. Her husband who is 6'3" or so puts the seat all the way back to fit in, and even then his knees are still hitting the steering wheel.

Originally Posted By: rationull

I haven't had a chance to look at the 3i Touring in person, but the brochure shows that the 3i Touring does not have an armrest.

I was wrong. I went on Autotrader and looked at some pictures of the 2010 3i Touring. It does have a armrest, though its a bit small.

Now the difficult part is deciding between the 3i Touring w/moonroof or a 3s Sport without any options. The price is the same. The 3s gives you better brakes, better engine, fog lights, sliding armrest, dual exhaust, fog lights, etc. However, it guzzles more gas.

I would actually say the smaller engine is the "better" one for most drivers, including me. Though I will admit to occasionally using all 7100 rpm at WOT, it's never necessary.

If the fog lights are anything like mine, they're absolutely useless. Dual exhaust on a four banger? That's just silly!

I like the 3 better. Drove both. The new, redesigned 3 is even more nice than our 07.

She ended up with a 2010 Mazda 3i Touring. It's an automatic with the moonroof package, Sirius satellite radio and wheel locks.

It stickered for $20,975, but she got it for $18,227 + tax-- which is $1297 under invoice! Best of all, it only had 1 mile on it when she picked it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back