Old man thinking about Honda civic SI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am an old guy, 70 this month, but I want something that is fun to drive and not so expensive. I have been thinking about a Civic coupe SI with a manual trans. I can get a new one for a little over 20 grand and they will get close to 30MPG. I have an older pickup and wife has a V6 accord. I have always been somewhat of a gearhead, and would love a new Hellcat, Camaro, Mustang, etc but don't want to spend that much. These Civics have really good resale value, so if it doesn't work out I can always sell. Any of you that have had one or know someone who has, please give me the good and bad. Thanks.

I say nothing wrong with a Si. Seventy years old is just a number. You might also consider a WRX 6MT. They get about 30 MPG and are fun to drive. Although they might not be so popular down south.

i'm driving LX hatchback with the manual and love it a lot. I test drove Si and it certainly handels better and has a bit more power. these civics are amazing cars in all aspects (power and fuel economy - i don't baby it but still get 36+ mpg). I'd say go for it!

Originally Posted by odotb
I am an old guy, 70 this month, but I want something that is fun to drive and not so expensive. I have been thinking about a Civic coupe SI with a manual trans. I can get a new one for a little over 20 grand and they will get close to 30MPG. I have an older pickup and wife has a V6 accord. I have always been somewhat of a gearhead, and would love a new Hellcat, Camaro, Mustang, etc but don't want to spend that much. These Civics have really good resale value, so if it doesn't work out I can always sell. Any of you that have had one or know someone who has, please give me the good and bad. Thanks.

Used C5 corvette.

But if you MUST have a civic, I'd recommend one of the 2.4L SI's from gen's past. They are faster and don't have the fuel dilution issues.

Originally Posted by FA_WRX
I say nothing wrong with a Si. Seventy years old is just a number. You might also consider a WRX 6MT. They get about 30 MPG and are fun to drive. Although they might not be so popular down south.

They're pretty popular down here, but they definitely need a tune in stock trim.

A guy down the street has a Challenger Hellcat. Cool Car but not for the layman driver. My opinion is that no one needs a car with that much power but after riding in it every chance I et why would you want any other version of a Challenger or Charger ?. A Vette can be hard to get in and out of. Take some time and test drive, then test drive some more.

Originally Posted by XCIDMigs
VW golf GTI buy a used 2018 get the benefit of their bad resell and it still has a 6 year bumper to bumper warranty remaining...

I like this idea.

Scott

John Force, also age 70, won the Funny Car class at the NHRA US Nationals here in Indy on Monday.
When he was interviewed afterwards he said "all you old guys get off the couch and get in your cars"
So have fun, man.

I have an Si. I just wanted a commuter that was zippy. Its fun and all....but you really have to wring it out to get the full enjoyment.

If I were to do it again, I would skip the Si and head straight for a slightly used Mustang either V6 or the 2.3L turbo. 0-60 in 5.5 seconds, decent fuel economy when you aren't 'on it' and pay less than a new Si.

I'm not your age yet, only 56...I too had thought about getting an Si, but I drive a lot, manual trans just didn't appeal to me. So, I got a 17 Accord Coupe V6 6AT. This comes with paddle shifters and is FUN to drive. Cost are about the same, just shop around and fine with low mileage and still covered under the Honda factory warranty. At least drive one. Right now, I'm averaging about 31 mpg with that V6. Plenty of power.

Oh Yes COBB stage 2 tune with some bolt on goodies. I like the car plenty of power for a 4 cyl and handles too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Smokescreen
I have an Si. I just wanted a commuter that was zippy. Its fun and all....but you really have to wring it out to get the full enjoyment.

If I were to do it again, I would skip the Si and head straight for a slightly used Mustang either V6 or the 2.3L turbo. 0-60 in 5.5 seconds, decent fuel economy when you aren't 'on it' and pay less than a new Si.

One of my best friend's GF's has just such a mustang. It handles like a mustang. If you've never driven a mustang, then you don't "get it". They have a very unique feel to them, and some people HATE it, and some people LOVE it. Her car is a 2017 or 2018, and as soon as I got in and pulled out of the parkinglot, I was right back in my 1988 fox, or any of the 99-05's I drove while working at a Ford dealer. The bloodline is pure and unbroken, and you either like a Mustang, or you don't. Something to keep in mind!

Originally Posted by FA_WRX

Oh Yes COBB stage 2 tune with some bolt on goodies. I like the car plenty of power for a 4 cyl and handles too.

Yeah, the tune fixes a lot of issues OEM inherent. I'm curious what the new STi will bring.

Last edited:
What about a Mazda3? They're fun to drive, manual available, and inexpensive. Don't know about performance difference vs the Honda.

Originally Posted by JLTD
What about a Mazda3? They're fun to drive, manual available, and inexpensive. Don't know about performance difference vs the Honda.

I think the Honda is tuned more toward the "fun" side while the Mazda is more "premium" especially in the higher trim levels.

Jeep Cherokee trackhawk worth a shout? 700 hp in a small suv would make the speed and concerns of nimble ability negligible. But 8 speed auto is eh. Maybe something similar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back