Old Man Test

At 64, I practice balance every day. I agree with the guy in the video, that balance, or the lack of, is a measure of how "old" you really are. I don't know that I could do that. But I'm sure going to start practicing.

Here is a challenge. Lift a foot off the ground and get your balance. Then close your eyes. See how long you can stay balanced.

I have very flat feet, could never balance on one foot like that even back in the days I played multiple sports. I have great balance on two feet but one, not so much.

Im 64 and use a cane or walker every day .....i have a hard time even when im setting down to put on shoes....

only 42, but my balance has always been terrible, a Physical Therapist said I have "Weak Ankles"

that is to say, there is no way in hades I could do that... most mornings, if I put the shoes on while standing, I need to hold on to something when slipping the shoes on over my heels. ( I either buy Loafers, or never untie my shoes. )

pretty shure part of my problem is too much adipose tissue around the middle that I can only compress so far in bending over.

No effing way!!! I have a 3' long-handled shoehorn to put shoes on and a contraption "as seen on TV" to put socks on. Flexible like a brick...

While I have no issues putting on socks sitting down I know I couldn't do it standing up. Even when I was younger by balance was not that good.

I never thought about it until @earlyre mentioned weak ankles above but it makes sense, I never could roller skate very well and every time I tried to ice skate I couldn't even stand there in them. Or it could be from spraining my ankles a lot when I played sports in high school.

funny but true!! at 73 my balance is fading but working on it as i want to continue riding motorcycles! beside balance your leg strength is key + being 5-8 + only 160 is a plus as only a few years ago i did single leg squats, body weight only. with most people being overweight to put it nicely i suspect even younger people would have issues trying that!! BUT if we never challenge ourselves we will never be able to do simple activities as we age, use it or loose it, YOUR choice!!
Single leg squat at that age is highly impressive! Good for you kiddo!

Heck, I can't even dry my feet off when I get out of the shower without almost falling over. Yeah, I'm 70.

Back