Old Jag Lube Chart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
An MGB has a steering rack, which would of course use an oil. More modern arrangements with power assisted rack and pinion steering use ATF or PSF. Grease in a steering rack seems about as appropriate as Greece in the Euro.
A Jag the vintage of this one would have some sort of steering gearbox and these often called for grease.
Two entirely different steering arrangements.

Without know the model, it's hard to say the steering arrangement. I'm not familiar with the saloons of this era, but the E-type had rack and pinion steering not unlike other British sports cars of the era.

Originally Posted By: bunnspecial
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
An MGB has a steering rack, which would of course use an oil. More modern arrangements with power assisted rack and pinion steering use ATF or PSF. Grease in a steering rack seems about as appropriate as Greece in the Euro.
A Jag the vintage of this one would have some sort of steering gearbox and these often called for grease.
Two entirely different steering arrangements.

Without know the model, it's hard to say the steering arrangement. I'm not familiar with the saloons of this era, but the E-type had rack and pinion steering not unlike other British sports cars of the era.

I think the giveaway is the fact the OPs chart refers to a "Steering Box" not Power Steering Rack

The chassis plate pictured is from an E Type Series 1 4.2 litre, fixed head coupe. Probably a '67

It is possible they never had power assisted steering on a Series 1.

I am not lucky or likely to ever own one though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
So in the modern world if the gaskets and seals were/are in decent shape - just run 15W-40 HDEO and cruise on
smile.gif

Just because it's an old car doesn't mean you can't take advantage of modern engine oil technology.
For example the 0W-40 Porsche spec's for it's current cars has been back-spec'd 40 years for their water-cooled cars.
That would seem to be a good choice for an old Jag or even a 0W-30 if you can maintain oil pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back