Old Floor Jack doesn't go down without weight

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Chinese floor jack that I bought new 27 years ago at a "tool store" at an indoor flea market. It's been great, never a problem. Now it will only go down with the weight of the car on it, or me! Which makes it difficult to pull out from under the vehicle when using it. Can I fix it? Flush? Clean a valve? Which? Where? How accessible is the valve? I hate to get rid of something that can be fixed.

Some of them have a spring to pull it down. Did your spring break or fall off?

I hate to get rid of something that can be fixed.

I felt the same way until I had the same problem with a truck up on a jack and the jack wouldn't come down at all.

I have a Chinese floor jack

Important detail #1

that I bought new 27 years ago

Important detail #2

Now it will only go down with the weight of the car on it,

Important detail #3
smile.gif

If there is an easy and obvious fix as others have suggested, great. If not, this is a superb reason to buy a new jack and send the old one to the scrap yard so it can go back to China and be turned into something else. It's easier to buy the new jack now than it will be go get the one you need because the one that is under the vehicle that you were going to drive to the tool store won't put the vehicle back on the ground.

Originally Posted By: CCI

Important detail #1

Did you miss this part ?

Quote:
I have a Chinese floor jack that I bought new 27 years... It's been great, never a problem.

Working great for 27 years - I'd look into fixing it and use it for many more years, Chinese-made or not.

Last edited:
Do what I did-keep it as a backup! Use the new one for heavy stuff & the old one to lift axles, etc. (when the vehicle is on stands). I don't use my old orange (HF) one often, but it comes in handy occasionally.

can you tell if the resistance is from the piston or missing return spring etc.

Originally Posted By: CCI
I hate to get rid of something that can be fixed.

I felt the same way until I had the same problem with a truck up on a jack and the jack wouldn't come down at all.

Important detail #1

that I bought new 27 years ago

Important detail #2

Now it will only go down with the weight of the car on it,

Important detail #3
smile.gif

If there is an easy and obvious fix as others have suggested, great. If not, this is a superb reason to buy a new jack and send the old one to the scrap yard so it can go back to China and be turned into something else. It's easier to buy the new jack now than it will be go get the one you need because the one that is under the vehicle that you were going to drive to the tool store won't put the vehicle back on the ground.

You don't know nothing about floor jacks bro, even the old imports have parts available for them. US made floor jacks dropped out of the mainstream in the 1970s. The good thing is that the imports have similar enough designs that generic seal kits will fit many models.

OP, I will bet that the piston that the handle actuates got stuck. Check to see if it looks cockeyed and give it a whack with a hammer if it is.

All good suggestions, Thanks.It

Prior to posting, I lubed the hinges, it needed that; has oil and not overfilled; resistance seems to be from the piston, piston is not cockeyed, good thought; the spring is intact and installed.

I was thinking it was some type of a release valve.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back