Old Colt (1911 style) vs Glock

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a gun discussion can be had without a thread being locked. There are entire discussion boards that are about shooting related topics. However, they do lock threads about Chevy vs Ford.

... Point is, unless a firearm is defective (Cough Sig 320 Cough), the firearm won't discharge unless the trigger is pulled. ...
I assume you mean to say "pistol" not "firearm".
Modern pistols, properly designed, built and maintained, should be drop safe.
But it is not true of firearms in general. Many long guns, even modern ones, are not drop safe.

Tweeking the frame on a plastic semi auto can certainly cause a discharge . Notice where the pistol was holstered and when it discharged. I wouldn't carry a semi in my front pocker either. I carry an air weight holstered in my front pocker with confidence that it will not AD. Study how a striker fired pistol operates. I drop and pound on my guns to see if they dischage.

I assume you mean to say "pistol" not "firearm".
Modern pistols, properly designed, built and maintained, should be drop safe.
But it is not true of firearms in general. Many long guns, even modern ones, are not drop safe.

I mean, there are defective firearms and people who accidentally pull the trigger. While I don't dispute that certain firearms have discharged when dropped, they certainly would represent a defective firearm or a firearm that has been "bubba'd" or augmented in some way such as a homespun trigger job or aftermarket trigger/sear. No firearm is designed to fire unless the trigger is pulled so for a drop or other external force to cause a discharge would mean it was defective or just very poorly designed/executed.

I would genuinely like to see a test of this done on multiple long guns like Savage, Ruger, Remington, Mauser, etc.

I own Brownings because I like them, I don't own a Glock.
Me too.

I never intentionally set out to buy Brownings. I just like guns with particularly unique engineering and design. And ones that are beautiful. After a while, I realized I had collected a few Brownings.

I would say that, although Id bet he tries to categorize it as accidental vs negligent.
Some might say there is no such thing as an accidental discharge. Discharge is either intentional, or negligent. Even if that is not strictly true, believing it is true promotes the right safety attitude.

I mean, there are defective firearms and people who accidentally pull the trigger. While I don't dispute that certain firearms have discharged when dropped, they certainly would represent a defective firearm or a firearm that has been "bubba'd" or augmented in some way such as a homespun trigger job or aftermarket trigger/sear. ...
Never assume a long gun is drop safe. Not even a modern one. It might be, but don't bet your life on it. Sure, designers try to make them safe, but many long guns aren't tested for drop safety the way handguns are, it's not always a tested design requirement the same way it is with pistols.

Some might say there is no such thing as an accidental discharge. Discharge is either intentional, or negligent. Even if that is not strictly true, believing it is true promotes the right safety attitude.

Yup

My grandpa would say any discharge is my fault, I couldn't argue.

Negligent implies handling problems
Accidental implies a 3rd object "caused" a discharge like a holster, or backpack

It's my job to make sure accidents involving discharge cannot happen regardless.

I know a guy who shot himself in the foot using the wrong holster as well. 100% not the pistol's fault. He knew better but got lazy when changing pistols.
Yea good training really emphasizes slow and "reluctant" holstering. Making sure that even if it goes of it does not hit you.

And back on the subject. I hav shot a fair amount of 1911's. They are not for me.

Never assume a long gun is drop safe. Not even a modern one. It might be, but don't bet your life on it. Sure, designers try to make them safe, but many long guns aren't tested for drop safety the way handguns are, it's not always a tested design requirement the same way it is with pistols.
Agreed. I never really assume anything concerning gun safety.

I feel like we went into the weeds a bit but my main original point was that so many people are quick to blame the firearm during a negligent discharge. I still run into people from time to time who think striker fired pistols aren't safe to use when they don't have an external traditional safety.

He put a loaded .22 revolver in a semiautomatic holster and it fired. Don't know exact details he won't talk about it.
It’s ot compared to the op, but interesting. IME .22 revolvers have some of the heaviest trigger and hammers, as ai recall because of the force needed to ensure consistent firing of vsrious .22 ammo…

Was there a particular reason that he needed to carry in condition 0?
I guess that's the school of thought that circulates around these days. Because danger is lurking at every corner... smh. Then people get complacent and treat a loaded weapon like everything else. Some common sense has to be applied, e.g.: if you need a gun to go somewhere, don't go. And if it's part of the job, then the person carrying should know better, right?

What about revolvers? It'd be only fair to mention them.

Someone once told me this revolver joke:

There are only three situations when a revolver won't go off:
  1. You don't have ammo.
  2. You already spent all your ammo.
  3. God doesn't love you.

Waist howitzers are like anything else. Everyone does well with what they like and/or afford. My dad can shoot a Hi Point like a boss and struggles with others. Everyone has a opinion or belief on what's best. Personally, if there was to be a zombie apocalypse and you are close to my house; just bring whatever works best for you please.

Agreed. I never really assume anything concerning gun safety.

I feel like we went into the weeds a bit but my main original point was that so many people are quick to blame the firearm during a negligent discharge. I still run into people from time to time who think striker fired pistols aren't safe to use when they don't have an external traditional safety.
Try being me. Getting stopped and trying to explain how to decock an H&K. Eyes get really big when hammer drops. Recommend everyone try P30 or USP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back