Old caterpillar dozer

Hello to all a new member I found this website very interesting after three weeks of doing research I am out at about my wits end on the correct tractor fluid for this machine. This tractor is a 1956 machine The specs call for a MIL-1-2105 or straight mineral oil for the transmission. SAE 90. Upon doing further research this machine could very well have bronze or brass bushings in the transmission with that being said it looks like a non-zinc fluid is recommended. any recommendations would help on narrowing down the correct fluid for this old tractor. Also if I am in the wrong section for this question please let me

Have a look at Cat spec FD-1 Dec 01 for use where no friction materials are used, or in a common sump where friction materials are present. Examples are Chevron Torqforce FD-1 SAE 60 and Torqforce syn FD-1 multi-grade (25W60).

"Where friction materials are present, use Cat TO-4" or TO-4M multi grade fluids such as Torqforce MP (20W40).

Zinc is only an issue where silver bearings are present such as in large locomotive type engines.
SAE 90 GL-1 does not necessarily mean Zn free.
It's clear that Cat does not want high sulfur GL-5 type lubricants in their final drives.

www.teck.com highland valley copper

A little birdie told me, or I read it on the internet, that the Cat FD-1 spec was joint project with Petro-Canada and the Highland Valley Copper Mine.

Last edited:
I’m not sure what you meant by silver bearings but yellow bearing material meaning brass or bronze in these old tractors don’t like the zinc

I’m not sure what you meant by silver bearings but yellow bearing material meaning brass or bronze in these old tractors don’t like the zinc

I'm not sure either...I know when I worked for Timken we would put silver caged bearings in helicopters. In case of a lubrication fail, the bearing would start to overheat and melt the bearing cage...the molten silver would act as a lubricant and give the pilot crucial time to land the craft.
Otherwise, never heard of silver in roller bearings...and I know next to nothing about plain bearings.

Zinc or sulfur compounds? Typically sulfur can cause problems with 'yellow metals' at high temperatures. I am not aware of zinc issues, but a quick look shows that many gear oils have low Zn levels.....interesting. Either way, I would wager that short of finding a direct correlation to the contemporary manufacturers spec, a GL4 would be suitable.

I'm not sure either...I know when I worked for Timken we would put silver caged bearings in helicopters. In case of a lubrication fail, the bearing would start to overheat and melt the bearing cage...the molten silver would act as a lubricant and give the pilot crucial time to land the craft.
Otherwise, never heard of silver in roller bearings...and I know next to nothing about plain bearings.
Wow I work in construction industry and have been in timken bearing plants what a noisy place that is who would’ve thought to do that was silver in bearings to protect them pilots is beyond me if that’s the case wow and that is pretty interesting information thanks

Wow I work in construction industry and have been in timken bearing plants what a noisy place that is who would’ve thought to do that was silver in bearings to protect them pilots is beyond me if that’s the case wow and that is pretty interesting information thanks

Yeah, I worked there for about 5 years as an application engineer in the Industrial segment (about 17 years ago), but that was a tidbit of info. we learned I won't forget...I also thought it was super cool!

Zinc is not an issue in Caterpillar equipment, in fact the lack of zinc can be a bigger issue. Cat used to spec 10W engine oil in their hydraulics. SOMETIMES when guys would try to save a buck and use cheap basic hydraulic oil that didn't contain zinc it was a cause of hydraulic pump failures.

Where zinc is an issue if some large locomotive engines which may have engine bearings containing silver. Zinc was very bad for these silver bearings. As I recall the silver was in the wrist pin bearings, I have no idea why silver was used.

Hello to all a new member I found this website very interesting after three weeks of doing research I am out at about my wits end on the correct tractor fluid for this machine. This tractor is a 1956 machine The specs call for a MIL-1-2105 or straight mineral oil for the transmission. SAE 90. Upon doing further research this machine could very well have bronze or brass bushings in the transmission with that being said it looks like a non-zinc fluid is recommended. any recommendations would help on narrowing down the correct fluid for this old tractor. Also if I am in the wrong section for this question please let me
Additive packages have changed a lot since 1956. I expect a TO-4 fluid in the appropriate viscosity would be fine, but I think it would be worth checking with your local Caterpillar dealer to see what they recommend. Once you know the spec. and recommended viscosity you can shop around.

What model Dozer did you get?

I have a 1956 CAT D4 7U model. (Amongst other antique CAT equipment.)

I filled with a TO4 50w - specifically P66 Powerdrive 50w.

The zinc isn’t an issue for “gold” metals - bronze and brass. It’s the sulfur in EP additives that you typically find in GL4-GL5 and EP gear oils.

I have the OEM manual at my shop. But that’s what I used personally.

Most (if not all) TO4 products are backwards compatible with TO2 products. Which still is a little newer than the earlier models - but not much changed when CAT went to the TO2 products. As I have a 1961 CAT 12 road grader, 1961 CAT D6B, and a 1964 CAT D4D for comparison. The D4D is physically larger than the D4 7U, but assembled very similarly.

IMG_1884.jpeg

My D4 7u loaded up, being dropped off at the antique equipment exhibit of our local fair.

Just because. I feel like sharing. It’s about ~90%. The pads are pretty worn down. I replaced the cutting edge but the base blade needs reskinned if it was ever going to be seriously used. It needs a new seat… at least in my opinion.

(photo edited for opsec purposes.)

Last edited:
View attachment 160743

My D4 7u loaded up, being dropped off at the antique equipment exhibit of our local fair.

Just because. I feel like sharing. It’s about ~90%. The pads are pretty worn down. I replaced the cutting edge but the base blade needs reskinned if it was ever going to be seriously used. It needs a new seat… at least in my opinion.

(photo edited for opsec purposes.)
Very nice dozer 👍😍

Back