Old but sealed bottle of Castrol LMA brake fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you use it? I need to change the fluid in my Subaru and just discovered today that I have this unopened bottle. I was planning on getting some ATE Super Blue, but will most likely use the Castrol unless that is a bad idea. If it would be best not to use it in the brakes, would it be okay for the clutch?

Thanks, Doug

If its sealed I don't see any reason not to use it.

Or I should say if its sealed, I would use it.

Last edited:
Is the seal completely in tact?

If so when you squeeze the bottle GENTLY does the bottle itself show any signs of weeping or leakage? If not you can use that fluid with NO concerns whatsoever. It can't draw in moisture if the bottle is completely sealed and not weeping or leaking.

Last edited:
Exactly how old is the bottle of LMA?
Was it stored in a proper place?

If it's only a few years old, stored indoors and living in "low humidity" AZ, I think you'll be OK!

If it's sealed, use with confidence.

Doesn't much matter where the bottle was stored - it's not like they're kept in dessicated storage once filled through the transport & retail channels until requested by the customer.

Does your Sube spec DOT3? In a few conditions the chemical difference in DOT4 can cause damage to the elastomers in the system. The borate esters that give the fluid the higher wet boiling point can cause the problem. I think that was the reason I had an early failure of the master cylinder in my Tundra.

Originally Posted By: dvancleve
Would you use it? I need to change the fluid in my Subaru and just discovered today that I have this unopened bottle. I was planning on getting some ATE Super Blue, but will most likely use the Castrol unless that is a bad idea. If it would be best not to use it in the brakes, would it be okay for the clutch?

Thanks, Doug

If it is over 3 years old I would not use it.

Chemical changes can occur irregardless of whether it was exposed to the atmosphere or not.

The seal is fully intact and the bottle seems fine. It has been stored in a cabinet in the garage (which gets plenty warm). I don't know how old it is, probably at least 5 years though.

As far as DOT4, lots of folks use ATE Super Blue (also DOT4) in their Subarus. Regarding age/time, I am sure there are zillions of cars on the road running original brake fluid with no obvious issues. Surely this fluid is much better than that...

How is brake fluid properly disposed of, can it go in with motor oil for recycling?

Thanks again, Doug

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
If it is over 3 years old I would not use it.

Chemical changes can occur irregardless of whether it was exposed to the atmosphere or not.

At the minimum, more than 50% of all 5 years old vehicles on the road have original brake fluid.
Whenever I was at local garage to have my car(s) work on, I saw some German cars with 8-10 years old or older with original brake fluid. Never saw any older car, import or domestic, has new brake fluid. The mechanic told me that once in about 2-3 years a customer would ask to bleed the brake while doing the pads and/or rotors.

Brake fluid hygroscopic tendencies are foreign to most vehicle owners. As a result, they aren't aware of the disadvantages of retaining the original brake fluid. My vote for the past 40 years has been with Castrol LMA. My 1st experience was with a hydraulic clutch failure in my 2002 BMW because I used a US made brake fluid which killed the rubber in the slave cylinder.

Wimpy brought a thread back from the dead!

A new bottle is only about $10

@dvancleve, what did you end up doing? Did you buy a new bottle, or did you use the old stuff?

And don't the brakes and clutch use the same fluid supply?

The problem with the LMA is that it is getting VERY scarce nowadays.
frown.gif

Pep Boyzz has dropped it, as well as many others (did NAPA EVER carry it??).

Only one semi-indie parts store near me now carries it, but yes, at ~$10.00/qt., it IS a bargain!
thumbsup2.gif

I would not use it if it is two or more years old, your defeating the main reason of changing your fluid - moisture absorption . The main problem is container is HDPE plastic which is permeable whereby moisture can past through it and be absorbed by the fluid, which as mentioned above, is hygroscopic.

Last year I asked Castrol about this very problem with an sealed bottle of LMA I had. The response was : "There is no shelf life for Castrol GT LMA, however we would suggest that for maximum protection and performance, the product be used within 2 years of the date of manufacture. Regardless of the storage conditions, moisture can get into the product via osmosis through the plastic. No partially filled bottles should ever be used - once open, use or discard."

Some people used to insist on brake fluid in sealed steel cans. I've only had brake fluid in steel cans once - and that was actually a place sending me the wrong product. Some shop sent me Motorex DOT5.1 fluid in 250 ml steel cans when I ordered 500 ml bottles of Motul DOT5.1. The place sent me a balance of several bottles of the Motul to make up for it.

The last place I had do a brake flush used ATE Super, which only comes in cans. Wagner used to only sell their brake fluid in cans. They still have a plastic liner and possibly a plastic cap. I remember the Motorex brake fluid had a metal cap, but the seal was broken with a breakaway plastic liner.

One reason I mostly buy the small 12oz. bottles, unless I'm planning on bleeding brakes on a few vehicles. A 12oz. works out perfectly for even a full bleed on most imports and small cars.

Is there any moisture prevention differences in synthetic vs conventional brake fluid?

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
The problem with the LMA is that it is getting VERY scarce nowadays.
frown.gif

Pep Boyzz has dropped it, as well as many others (did NAPA EVER carry it??).

Only one semi-indie parts store near me now carries it, but yes, at ~$10.00/qt., it IS a bargain!
thumbsup2.gif

Car Quest has lots of it at our regional warehouse in Winchester, Va. and if your region doesn't have any they will send freight free to a store for you by transfers.
This is the part number they use and these are the old style bottles they have about 700 quarts
CarQuest/Castrol part# 504

Originally Posted By: Rylan
One reason I mostly buy the small 12oz. bottles, unless I'm planning on bleeding brakes on a few vehicles. A 12oz. works out perfectly for even a full bleed on most imports and small cars.

Is there any moisture prevention differences in synthetic vs conventional brake fluid?

I remember providing brake fluid for a brake fluid flush. It was usually 2 12 oz bottles and sometimes 3. This was typically for my '95 Integra. Once I brought in a bottle of Pyroil DOT 4, and when I got it back there was maybe 10 oz of the bottle left. I experimented with that by mixing in water, which blended in well.

Originally Posted By: stchman
AAP has Valvoline DOT 3/4 brake fluid for $8 a 32oz bottle. Brake fluid is pretty cheap to chance something.

The LMA has at least slightly better wet (and dry) specs than the current, regular old Valvoline DOT 3/4 stuff.
Now the older, gold/titanium colored bottles of the SynPower Valvoline stuff had even better specs than the LMA.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back