Old Briggs 3.5 Max governor spring

JHZR2

Staff member
IMG_8492.jpeg
IMG_8494.jpeg

Old but seems to work…. But look at the crease.

Runs well. No concerns. Rebuilding carb just because. Though it’s clean it seems.

IMG_8493.jpeg

So do I need a new spring?

It’s NLA. Will any spring of the same length work? This engine has manual speed control and choke on the engine.

IMG_8215.jpeg

It was probably monkeyed with to make the machine go faster. If it runs good, run it. Looks pretty.
Thanks! It has manual speed control, doesn’t sound faster than it should. If anything, maybe too slow. It will occasionally clog.

IMG_0105.jpeg

If you look carefully some of the replacement carbs on amazon will include a governor spring. I once bought a missing choke spring off Jacks small engines and paid $5 for the spring and $5 for shipping. When the mower still wouldn't start without ether I gave up and bought a new carb off amazon for $20 that included two governor springs, 2 choke springs and a filter.

If you are careful, you can probably use a pair of needle nose pliers to fix that spring by placing bends in the critical locations. Then adjust the gov to 3600RPM max speed. A phone app can help with this, via audio/frequency, vibration sensing or visual methods.

Taking care not to get dirt into that open fuel line, take a razor and slice off 1/8 inch of the end of that fuel line. It is starting to crack and cleaning that up may help extend it's life.

If you are careful, you can probably use a pair of needle nose pliers to fix that spring by placing bends in the critical locations. Then adjust the gov to 3600RPM max speed. A phone app can help with this, via audio/frequency, vibration sensing or visual methods.

Taking care not to get dirt into that open fuel line, take a razor and slice off 1/8 inch of the end of that fuel line. It is starting to crack and cleaning that up may help extend it's life.
Thanks. I’m a little concerned to bend the spring much given age. And since it works.

The fuel line is being replaced. The constant tension clamps were loose, and the line is rock hard. I think it’s 3/16.

Check ebay for nos. There are a lot of great sellers listing items no longer available.

Thanks. I’m a little concerned to bend the spring much given age. And since it works.

The fuel line is being replaced. The constant tension clamps were loose, and the line is rock hard. I think it’s 3/16.
The spring will bend back, no prob.

You cant hurt the spring, try it. Also you would be running too slow with that gap in the spring. You need to be about 3600 rpm. No need to speed it past that.

The proper way to adjust the RPM speed on that Briggs and Stratton engine is to bend the spring's metal anchoring tab, not the spring itself. Bending the spring will often cause it to not expand and contract in a linear fashion.

Back