old 2 stroke oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
My grandma is moving into a condo and I'm helping her get stuff ready for a yard sale. I came across 12, 32oz. bottles of Citgo 2 stroke oil. Its from before my grandpa died,that was '95. Its all completely sealed from the factory.

Its rated TCW-2 so I can't use it in my new outboards.

If its never been opened,is it still ok to use it in my old '89 Evinrude?

I would think the oil would be fine in the 89 Evinrude if you also run a decarb additive with it such as Evinrude's Carbon Guard or Mercury's Quikleen. I would not use the oil if I did not want to run the additive. TCW2 did not have the chemistry to keep the rings from loading in on some applications. I have read that in Evinrude manuals, Mercury manuals, and I believe on the Mercury website.

Originally Posted By: sweezy722
I would think the oil would be fine in the 89 Evinrude if you also run a decarb additive with it such as Evinrude's Carbon Guard or Mercury's Quikleen.

What about Yamaha Ringfree?

If you decide to use it, I wouldn't, pour it off into another container and check it out before putting it the gas. I've had old oil (valvoline tcw2) like that get thick and lumpy at the bottom of the bottle. There's no concern about it protecting the motor, it's just the stuff ran so dirty and left globs on the plugs and ring lands unless the motor was run wide open all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back