Okay, rant time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that I'm older I have finally started to take my cars to a mechanic for service. I go to a place that is clean, well organized, has certified mechanics, and is certified to do smog checks. The mechanics are well dressed and their tools and work spaces are spotless. They have a great reputation and are always busy.

When I took my Honda in for a smog check they also replaced a brake light bulb with no charge that I was going to do the next day. I did not mention it to them when I left the car there.

When they did the alignment and replaced the tie rod ends and bent the splash shield back to straight, replaced two missing bolts and put Locktite on all the bolts to keep them from coming loose, no extra charge. The mechanic told me he could not return the car to me without getting things right. He said they put the splash pan there for a reason and it should be there. Many times these things just disappear.

Do not take it back for him to "repair".

Do take pictures and approach him with what you found and give him a chance to make monetary amends. It will also show him what he did wrong so there is less chance of him messing up another customer's vehicle in the future.

Do not even waste your time going in there, cut your losses and thank your lucky stars. Hopefully lesson learned for her.

Originally Posted By: Kory
Do not even waste your time going in there, cut your losses and thank your lucky stars. Hopefully lesson learned for her.
This,vote with your feet. Cheap, as lessons go.

Is it me or does it seem like Florida has an extreme amount
of crooked and incompetent mechanics, and that is saying something considering that the entire auto service and repair industry countrywide is filled with incompetent crooks anyhow.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Now that I'm older I have finally started to take my cars to a mechanic for service. I go to a place that is clean, well organized, has certified mechanics, and is certified to do smog checks. The mechanics are well dressed and their tools and work spaces are spotless. They have a great reputation and are always busy.

When I took my Honda in for a smog check they also replaced a brake light bulb with no charge that I was going to do the next day. I did not mention it to them when I left the car there.

When they did the alignment and replaced the tie rod ends and bent the splash shield back to straight, replaced two missing bolts and put Locktite on all the bolts to keep them from coming loose, no extra charge. The mechanic told me he could not return the car to me without getting things right. He said they put the splash pan there for a reason and it should be there. Many times these things just disappear.

The proverbial "needle in the haystack".

I and many others have never found such a
shop after many years of looking either.

Thanks for all the wisdom and support guys. Yes, today I am much calmer. Going to Church today helped put it all in perspective in the bigger picture kind of way.

It's a thing, like an errant baseball through a living room window. Can't cry over spilled milk and all that. Everyone is safe, all is well, and when the soon to be famous "LUV" machine finally dies, I have a ready replacement- with a built in DVD player no less.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back