Okay I've narrowed it down to two oils - which do you like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Al, the link you provided is very helpful, although I do not understand some of it. I can see now where Motorcraft does have a rather small dose of moly and it was my understanding Hondas really liked moly. They even recommend not changing the factory oil until the OLM tells you to because it is loaded with this moly stuff.
The Havoline has more moly than almost anything so I guess that is a good thing. I will have to check that out further as it was one of my favorite choices.

Another question, I wonder why of the sythetics, only Redline had a good dose of moly. All the other full synthetics did not or very little.

Martyi: As I told you on another thread Exxon 5/20 is the closest to Hondas OEM oil and has a ton of moly and shows great UOA's. It can be purchased for under a dollar (after rebate).
Of the 2 oils you mention I would go with Mobil 7500 twice a year.

come on, guys. Trying to determine an oils effectiveness by looking at it's add pack and moly content is pointless.

It's been established here long ago that oils of different chemistries can achieve the same excellent results.

Thus, low moly Conoco-Phillips products (MC) are turning out equally impressive UOA's as Chevron ISO-Syn/High moly products(Chevron,Pennzoil, etc.).

Who knows what the new SM oils will deliver and where the Mobil 7500 will fall out. The only answer is time and maybe UOAs. After engine break -in, he should run two OCI's/uoa with one oil, then try the other oil.

Then, when he has an answer, the oil formulations will change again!

Good day and have a great weekend everyone. don't forget, the Mark Mathy fund deadline is soon.

Everyone here keeps saying MC because the 7500 has no track record. How is it supposed to get one if nobody uses it? MC is reformulated for SM anyway, so no guarantee it is the same as before.
I would say the Mobil 7500. Mobil formulated it to go 7500 miles, so change your oil by your OLM, 7500 miles, or 1 year, whichever comes up first. Do a UOA on it just to make sure and then be happy.
smile.gif

This is what you do. Go to walmart and find the best price for your choices for your required jugs. I really doubt there is a significant performance differnce between the two. You should also keep an eye on the product rebates forum here.. there is no need to pay retail if you shop carefully and stock up. I use this resource to search for deals shoplocal .. scuttlebuts of clearances are best found here at BITOG since they are normally not advertised

Bryanccfshr: Great link!

However, I noticed that ShopLocal had M1 at $4.44 at Advance. Wal-mart here has it at $4.26. Wal-mart dropped their price not long after Advance put it on sale. Wal-mart's price will probably only last until Advance raises their price, I'm sure.

I've used both Motorcraft & Mobil products in my vehilces over the years, and have no complaints about either.
The board seems pretty much split on recommending the two.
My question is, "Unless Mobil 7500's additive pkg is sub-par, would not it's group III / PAO base blend, fare somewhat better than Motorcraft's group II / III base blend?"
If what I'm hearing relative to the bases of these oils is accurate, doesn't it make sense to go with Mobil 7500?

05 Escape Lmt 3.0
02 Mustang GT 4.6
97 F150 Off Road 4.6
97 Probe 2.0
95 Probe GT 2.5
Thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back