Ok My last story went bad real bad give me another chance.

So much so I was referred to as a 12 year old 14 maybe but 12. This person that made that remark, if you don't have anything nice to say everyone knows the rest, well almost everybody, his list of accomplishments is BMW alignment tech. So maybe my last post does not reflect this but I have been working on cars longer than he has maybe been alive no proof just a guess. Alignment talk in my opinion, If you brought your 2015 camry in for 4 new tires they where kept inflated and rotated at the correct times there now lets say have 80000 miles on them Steering straight no vibrations 4 tires all bald you need new ones but they wore out even and perfect why would you mess that up, and they would, every time any one goes to almost any tire shop even for just one tire they almost insist you get a 2 or 4 wheel alignment ? and will charge you for it .Ever notice they always need some kind of adj. just a little something to charge you for. Even If it was free alignment, Its a rare time after your alignment that you here your car is perfect you need nothing no charge. Ok here' a short one. Lexus 1995 300 SC 180.000miles had worn out outer tie rod end it was the OEM part so I bought the same OEM part from Lexus did some measuring yes to the thousand of a inch. they where the same, counted the threads old and new when screwed in and out. The only thing that really wears on that part is the ball and socket put the new one in back just like new and that car was never on a alignment machine that tire still wearing fine when I sold it at 260,000 miles 300sc Manual trans. 2JZ rare but no turbo. Yes there plenty of times you do need a alignment Accident, aftermarket parts, if you hit and bent something adj. compensation for bent part etc. I have no idea how much you persons know about cars, I do know it takes a lot more time to explain every little thing, I am new to this cut me a little slack It was my fault I acted like everybody here was a mechanic. Is that better. I was a diesel mech. not a english major. I do not use that preview button, maybe I should start, If anyone needs gear head terminology I am here for you I like to consider my self a automotive enthusiast little more class,

First, this is the internet and the cream of the human race doesn't live here - but the dregs do. It will help to have a thick skin.

Second, while you've got the punctuation skills - and you use them - but you could use a little help with paragraphs. Not only does it make reading your work more easy, but it will demonstrate that you have a logical and orderly mindset - that is, it makes your post look like it's worth reading.

Now onto the meat of your post:

There is a thing called Material Creep - and, No, that's not the name of a Marvel villain. It's where structural members elongate over time. Saggy springs are a good example. Wikipedia: Creep (deformation)

So it's quite possible for a vehicle to go out of alignment over time even if there was no accident or even excessive stress. Well designed structures shouldn't deform much over time, but that is not the world we live in. Not only are mistakes made, but sometimes there are unknown issues - such as the Tacoma Narrows Bridge problem. Wikipedia: Tacoma Narrows Bridge (1940)

So if you'll cut us some slack, we'll do the same. (Well, at least some of us will!)

I bought a new 07 Mazda RX8, and knew it could handle better, so after driving hard on track a few times, found a guy that would let me help align. We mostly changed the rear camber from -2.3 to minimal -1.65, and it cornered much better. I even had Bilstein shocks put all around later, and it still drives right so no new alignment.

I bought a new 14 BMW X1 s28i which drives just like I like it, and tires show no funny wear, so, no alignment.

Wear on both cars is so even that I don't rotate. I can't rotate on the X1 with staggered anyway.

Re-alignment is to fix a problem. No problem, no need to fix.

So much so I was referred to as a 12 year old 14 maybe but 12. This person that made that remark, if you don't have anything nice to say everyone knows the rest, well almost everybody, his list of accomplishments is BMW alignment tech. So maybe my last post does not reflect this but I have been working on cars longer than he has maybe been alive no proof just a guess. Alignment talk in my opinion, If you brought your 2015 camry in for 4 new tires they where kept inflated and rotated at the correct times there now lets say have 80000 miles on them Steering straight no vibrations 4 tires all bald you need new ones but they wore out even and perfect why would you mess that up, and they would, every time any one goes to almost any tire shop even for just one tire they almost insist you get a 2 or 4 wheel alignment ? and will charge you for it .Ever notice they always need some kind of adj. just a little something to charge you for. Even If it was free alignment, Its a rare time after your alignment that you here your car is perfect you need nothing no charge. Ok here' a short one. Lexus 1995 300 SC 180.000miles had worn out outer tie rod end it was the OEM part so I bought the same OEM part from Lexus did some measuring yes to the thousand of a inch. they where the same, counted the threads old and new when screwed in and out. The only thing that really wears on that part is the ball and socket put the new one in back just like new and that car was never on a alignment machine that tire still wearing fine when I sold it at 260,000 miles 300sc Manual trans. 2JZ rare but no turbo. Yes there plenty of times you do need a alignment Accident, aftermarket parts, if you hit and bent something adj. compensation for bent part etc. I have no idea how much you persons know about cars, I do know it takes a lot more time to explain every little thing, I am new to this cut me a little slack It was my fault I acted like everybody here was a mechanic. Is that better. I was a diesel mech. not a english major. I do not use that preview button, maybe I should start, If anyone needs gear head terminology I am here for you I like to consider my self a automotive enthusiast little more class,
If this thread becomes personal and inflammatory it will be removed, so think about the tone of your post before hitting the Post Reply button.

Too bad its as long as a term paper.. But did you learn anything, maybe not but I love to learn stuff on Bobs ,and I have a lot. Bobs is my favorite site. I hate writing long threads more than you hate reading them, I am sure. I am new look at my# of threads I am working on trying to keep it shorter does not seam to be working. Diesel mechanic not english major. Sorry have a wonderful day.

This forum is national so I think the opinions people give are regional. I can see maybe in Maryland that maybe the roads aren't as bad as they are in the Northeast. We get potholes and I've hit potholes where I know instantly that the alignment is off because the wheel is no longer straight and it was when I started driving. I'm just happy that I didn't blow a tire but I think later on I ended up with a bent or cracked rim.

I actually agree with the OP on this one(!) The xB in my sig is now approaching 120K, on the bad roads here in the 'Nati, and has never worn tires strangely or unevenly-so NO ALIGNMENT in over 16 years! It is possible to not need one, but some vehicles (Ford vans in particular) can get out of alignment just by loading them. All of the work Ford Econolines of the past, & the current big Transits, need to be aligned AFTER being loaded with parts & tools. The front camber always goes negative with a heavy load in them.

Well, could actually read this one. So that’s an improvement. :)

I really doubt you have been spinning wrenches longer than I have been alive, I will be retiring in the next five years thanks to the pandemic markets. ;)

Last edited:
Some of these folks actually helped me out with my problem vehicle. You know who you are.

I’m not one who usually gets an alignment, if my tires are wearing evenly. If it’s been in a wreck, hit a curb or pothole, or has had suspension work done, I will fork out for an alignment. Up selling is what many national chain tire stores do. Two that come to mind are Firestone and Goodyear. I avoid those places like the plague.

Another thing, cars can leave the factory out of alignment. I believe that was the problem in my case.

Last edited:
I’m not comprehending. English majors most of us are not. Basic punctuation helps a lot…

Do cars need alignments? Sure. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Parts wear, parts bend, bushing rubber degrades, etc.

I’ve always asked for a printout of the before and after from an alignment. There typically is an improvement. I’ve had a good shop do most of my alignments. A shop that won’t do the job with broken parts, damaged boots, cracked bushings, et.

Newer cars, by virtue either of being newer (better rubber condition), or something else, seem to be less affected. My old Mercedes often wear tires funny, even with good steering and components.

49ACCA7B-C9CC-4049-8676-F47187DD1EE7.jpeg

I’ve slammed my 2012 bmw and my 2015 Honda on bad roads enough to put bubbles in the sidewall and rip tires apart.
EC80DEAC-233E-4211-B88F-7CA3A9177D7E.jpeg
FF03DEC5-228D-4277-AE65-DED5BA2FA4A2.jpeg

Yet the cars track smooth and perfect, and wear tires evenly without rotation (BMW is staggered).

So lots of “it depends” here… many factors. Not entirely sure what OP is arguing…

85k on wife’s outback and just had alignment checked for first time. was in spec. we have a fairly rough driveway too. i was shocked and pleased.

Back