Oils for old engines

I would stick with 40grade oils....since they are not "CAFE" affected.....

If you look into other topics.... Sae30 HD API CF....and it has ZDDP levels around 800ppm
smile.gif

Same goes with modern 20w50...API SN...

Originally Posted by bubbatime
Cheapest 15W40 I could find on the shelf.

Yes...but HDEO one....not one in PCMO version!

^word

(I dont know of any 15W-40 PCMO oils, but if there are - I would pick the HDEO 15W-40 for sure)

Heavy Duty Engine Oil.....the one intended for "big rigs"...lots of ZDDP (usually)....lots of detergents....better oil base..higher TBN.

VS

Passenger Car Motor Oil....about average in 15w40 & 20w50 class...built from used/recycled engine oil.....usually API SN (ZDDP around 800ppm these days)....on my side of the pond its usually ACEA A3/B3...so TBN @around 8....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by thastinger
Originally Posted by DriveHard
every engine I own gets 0w-40...not sure why anyone would run anything else.

I've been switching all mine to 0-40 as the intervals/seasons come around. Wife's Armada really liked the M1 Euro according the the last UOA report.

I run 0w40 in my Deere garden tractor with a 25hp Kohler Command V-Twin. The reason is it's used year round and is often started on cold mornings to snowblow the driveway. It has held up well (no consumption) but everything else I own/service power equipment wise gets 15w40 if used in summer, and 5w30 if it's a snowblower, mainly because it is cheaper than most 0w40 oils and the seasonal equipment doesn't see many hours of use.

+1 on 0w-40. Not really available in my area tho.

I prefer a 5w-40 synthetic diesel engine oil in anything and everything with a pull start. Amsoil DEO to be specific but I'll use Mobil 1 TDT and Rotella T6 in a heartbeat. I've had no issues using a "HDEO" in any weather condition in any engine.

If you can't or won't use that you can use ANY SAE30, xW-30, or xW-40 oil. These little engines just don't care.

I used Camoil in my 65 Ford 390.15w40.Seemed to be decent.

Attachments

• 13391545_1714877162111482_3025481287348643485_o.jpg
    13391545_1714877162111482_3025481287348643485_o.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 12
Never ever use 10w-40 or heavier oil in the Tecumseh HH series engines. Never!
That was tried once by me and it immediately began overheating from improper oil lubricity to the
cylinder and valves. I demonstrated and verified this two separate times. Both times the engine began to overheat immediately
when 10W 40 was used

This engine must use straight 30W or 10W-30 oil only

Never ever use 10w-40 or heavier oil in the Tecumseh HH series engines. Never!
That was tried once by me and it immediately began overheating from improper oil lubricity to the
cylinder and valves. I demonstrated and verified this two separate times. Both times the engine began to overheat immediately
when 10W 40 was used

This engine must use straight 30W or 10W-30 oil only
That must be some sensitive engine. Amazing the things that people report happening.

You think 5W-40 would be okay? What’s the lubricity of that I wonder?

That must be some sensitive engine. Amazing the things that people report happening.

You think 5W-40 would be okay?
Thats why I experimented twice The HH120 would not run properly with 10w 40.The cylinder head even exhibited overheating

I dont understand why anyone just doesn't follow the engine manufactured specs anyway.

Thats why I experimented twice The HH120 would not run properly with 10w 40.The cylinder head even exhibited overheating

I dont understand why anyone just doesn't follow the engine manufactured specs anyway.
That is really something. So what do you think about 5W-40 or even 0W-40? Or are those too thin?

Many opinions as to what weight to use. In my years of experience working on small engines I will say that checking the oil level each day before use is the most important thing oil related to do. 90% of the engine failures I see are because the oil level was to low to lubricate the engine. Engine locks up or blows a hole in the block. For dino oil good ole 15w40 is tough to beat. 30 wt is fine too. Syn oil well I say Mobil1 0w30, 10w30, or 10w40 is what gives top results. 22.99 for a 5 quart jug is a good deal.

Back