Oiled foam filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully this won't devolve into a "performance" filter flameout, but have recently fitted an oiled 3-layer foam filter to my tuned GTI. It's an ITG manufactured filter and is HUGE. Not a drop-in and has much more surface area than the OE (actually pulled apart all the pleats in one and measured it). I'm not really concerned with the flow as the OE box and snorkel does pretty well. Its more of the overall design coupled with some other intake components that gives me a noticible improvement in spool and response. I am NOT one of those that is concerned with intake sound and this set-up is almost as quiet as OE

Where my concern lies is with filtration. I understand that the OE paper is best but would an oiled foam be THAT bad? I put about 7-8K a year on the car and it take forever for it to cause long term damage if it filters poorly. Haven't had a chance to do a UOA yet as it was fitted so recently. I guess I'm asking a subjective question, but curious if anyone has solid experience with oiled foam or any kind of test results with them. Scoured the 'net and haven't found anything really definitive.

I used to use the cattman/monster flow foam air intake filter.It was like a well made upgrade to Weapon-R filters. I didnt have much issue but taking apart to wash,rinse and dry was downright painful. I did use the Amsoil red foam tact spray which helped. Now its just dryflow for me from Injen or AEM.

I have had oiled foam filters in many appications in OPE and those engines are in dusty environs and the engines last a LONG time

In a fairly clean air environment, no reason you should have any crazy problem out of it.

Cleaning and oiling was always a bit of a pain though

Good luck

Oiled foam filters work well on OPE and I've used them on older automotive engines without emissions controls. My concern would be using one on an engine that has a MAF sensor as they are sensitive to contamination from oil. I don't know if a properly oiled foam filter would cause a problem with a MAF or not, but I don't know that I would take that chance with my engines.

Originally Posted by 46Harry
Oiled foam filters work well on OPE and I've used them on older automotive engines without emissions controls. My concern would be using one on an engine that has a MAF sensor as they are sensitive to contamination from oil. I don't know if a properly oiled foam filter would cause a problem with a MAF or not, but I don't know that I would take that chance with my engines.

I know that is a concern with oiled cotton gauze filters as the oil is very light weight. The newer foams seem to all use a heavy, tacky oil that sets up and migrates little to none. This is the basis for it's filtration, the dust/dirt sticks to the oil hanging on the foam "branches". Checked intake tube several times and there is no dust or oil at all. Oil on the sensor is moot with my car since it uses a MAP instead of a MAF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back