Oil weight question for 2009 Challenger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine does have the lifetime warranty but as time goes by the Hp bug will bite and bite hard so the warranty really does not matter to me. Just keeping the warranty for a while to make sure all the gremlins are exorcised first. Then full steam ahead scotty.

2010 models have the 5/100,000 warranty.

O.K. since some have brought up the MDS issue lets talk about that. Not trying to be a smart donkey but rather educated on whats really happening.

Specifically what could happen to the MDS if a heavier weight oil was used than recommended? Other then not going into MDS mode of course. What short term or long term damage could occur?

Last edited:
I doubt you'll have any mechanical failures with a heavier oil but the possibility of a MIL light or driveability issue increases.
The system is calibrated around the flow characteristics a 20wt oil and a too heavy oil might not allow the lifters to collapse and repressurise on time. The only issue I could see is with the transition from 4-8 cyl mode not being smooth or some additional valve train noise. I doubt a 30wt would cause any trouble but probably wouldn't offer any advantages. Stick with the recommended oil weight.

Actually local dealers here have denied warranty on a few HEMI's that I know of because the owners insisted on running 5W30 in these engines thus ruining the camshafts in them. Their is a TSB on this issue.

If it calls for 5W20 run 5W20. Not worth taking a chance on a warranty issue. Yes in the short time period I was selling cars I saw warranty claims denied because the wrong oil was used. Depends on the claim, and cost of the repair. Not worth taking a chance.

As a side note when asked what oil the person was using it was their own admission that hung them. One person comes to mind, car spec'd for 5W30, he was using 15W50. When asked why, he said that was the oil he always used. An old friend I worked with had called me the other day. We got to talking and he reminded me of this guy and the stink he put up on the selling floor after service told him to have a nice day with his claim.

Last edited:
Lots of misinformation in this one....

As someone who's owned one new gen Hemi for almost 4 years and has another on order, let's work together and dispel them.

MDS is both mechanical and computer controlled. Well said previously. But it still works with almost any oil of reasonable weight. Just differently. The 5.7's have the ability to throw a code if too thick oil is used. One question for anyone wanting thicker...Why?

Second, across all the forums I peruse, there is absolutely NOT a TSB for premature cam wear for any oil related issues in the 5.7 or the 6.1. The only oil related TSB I know of is the one for oil squirter noise in the 6.1.

Note that the 6.1 specs both 0w-40 and 15w-50 from the factory. The 5.7 is always a 5w-20 motor if you're concerned about economy.

And the new Eagle 5.7 with VVT is one kick [censored] motor. They are getting much bigger numbers on the dynos compared to previous engines. I have had a new Challenger RT with nothing but a Corsa exhaust and a Predator tune run just a tick behind me.

[censored] impressive for a whale of a 2 door.

It amazes me that so many people think the factory engineers don't know what they are doing. I'm sure the factory has done extensive research on finding the best wt oil for their application. Why would they recommend an oil wt that wouldn't give the best results?

And I love how some people say, "I don't think it would hurt to use a thicker oil" or "I don't think you will have any problems". And they are telling you the truth...they don't think!! Just use what the service manual says and you'll be fine...that's what I think.

Last edited:
Quote:
It amazes me that so many people think the factory engineers don't know what they are doing.

Agree.

The question is: Would those engineers recommend something different if they weren't bound by federal regulation to only list the oil used for CAFE certification?

Ed

Double Agree!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: buster
Quote:
It amazes me that so many people think the factory engineers don't know what they are doing.

Agree.

Originally Posted By: edhackett
The question is: Would those engineers recommend something different if they weren't bound by federal regulation to only list the oil used for CAFE certification?

Ed

Bingo, we have a winner, someone who can think and not insinuate others are stupid for thinking outside the box. Thank you sir.

And I'll add engineers have to design an engine to operate in all driving conditions be it physical or environment. If we all putt, putt around and drive sain then I'm sure the recommended oil will more than be adequate. I'm not your average old Sunday grandma driver. I like to use my vehicles like people like to go to the amusement park. I'm on this earth for but a very short time and I'm going to enjoy my life the way I like to enjoy it. That means raising hades whenever it's safe and living in a country setting I can enjoy that luxury.

Now since we have dispelled MDS will be hurt which I knew all along but thought we better go through all the formalities first to get to this point. Now we know that engineers have to design things for all conditions but not just one single condition. Now we know I like to drive like I'm at the track every day. Maybe we can get back to the original question of what weight oil will give me the most protection for my driving style.

Maybe 0-20 or 5-20 or even straight 20 would be the best. That's why I came on here to get an education from some of the best oil people.

I will be sticking with these unless someone can come up with a good reason to run a little heavier weight for type of driving.

Chrysler put the warning to only use 5W-20 in the manuals of MDS equipped vehicles for a reason. They state problems may occur if using other weights. Anyone who would tell you to use a thicker oil against what the mfg says is doing you a disservice. Use what you want at your own risk.

MDS Hemis have a troubleful history with
thicker oils but no oil related problems on the
recomended viscosities.
Use a "good" 5w-20 and be happy.

Originally Posted By: pwr2tow
Now since we have dispelled MDS will be hurt which I knew all along but thought we better go through all the formalities first to get to this point.

I don't think anybody is saying that this will physically hurt the MDS system. Running a heavier oil may very well set a DTC (P1521 if you're interested). It won't turn on the MIL, but it may lead to some odd driveability symptoms during MDS activation. P1521 does not explicity preclude MDS from operating, so it will likely still operate if you stick with a xW30 oil, but it may feel different as the schedule is modified to account for the heavier oil. Step to a xW40 or XW50, I think you'd see a larger impact on the MDS, possibly leading to an actual MDS DTC (P34xx) and a MIL.

Given some of the emperical data available from fleets, particularly police fleets, who use 5W20 in both Crown Vics and Dodge Chargers, I'd say a quality 5W20 will suit you just fine.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
Originally Posted By: pwr2tow
Now since we have dispelled MDS will be hurt which I knew all along but thought we better go through all the formalities first to get to this point.

I don't think anybody is saying that this will physically hurt the MDS system. Running a heavier oil may very well set a DTC (P1521 if you're interested). It won't turn on the MIL, but it may lead to some odd driveability symptoms during MDS activation. P1521 does not explicity preclude MDS from operating, so it will likely still operate if you stick with a xW30 oil, but it may feel different as the schedule is modified to account for the heavier oil. Step to a xW40 or XW50, I think you'd see a larger impact on the MDS, possibly leading to an actual MDS DTC (P34xx) and a MIL.

Given some of the emperical data available from fleets, particularly police fleets, who use 5W20 in both Crown Vics and Dodge Chargers, I'd say a quality 5W20 will suit you just fine.

Thank you for some techincal insight theories on the MDS system. Kudos to you sir.

Thank you for your reply and insight from other severe service users. I never doubted the 20 weight oil and have actually read some very convincing data and theories over the last year or two to support the volidaty of using lower weight oils. Was just curious if there was any supporting data for using a heavier weight at full operating tempertures in severe driving conditions on a 20 weight speced engine.

Thanks again,
Ron

If you knew the brutal conditions that engine was developed under you'd be impressed.

Go to www.allpar.com and read about the new gen Hemi.

It's on Wards ten best list for a reason, and the newest Eagle version/VVT motor is a real barnstormer right out of the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back