Oil suggestion for 65 Chevelle SS?

That is what I was thinking ,, a 0w or 5W-40 would be a good starting point. , The 15W-40 would easily work a freezing temps. but with your concern go with 0 or 5W=40 oils.

If you’re going to drive it in the cold, you could drop it down to 10w30 Valvoline Racing Oil. If you love the car at all, I strongly advise against winter driving. Drive it in the salt and it will rot away… not just the body… brake lines, fuel lines, frame, gas tank, etc.

I know it's blasphemy around here but I'd go 3 qts 5w-40 and 2 qts 15w-40. I'd also run a 10w-40 in it year round without a problem.

Well that is the nicest car I've seen on here in a bit. Or at least one I like the most being a GM guy :)
The best years for american Iron 65-66.

You can decode the rear end, it has stamping on the axle tube
If it's CI or CU its probably the 3.73 posi if you have the close ratio transmission.
May be CG 3.36 posi also. Stamping is on on the axle housing about a foot from the drum brakes

For winter I would just run you choice of 10W30 with some Lunati break in lube or similar
Just keep it under 4500 RL in the winter.

I guess a lot of people don't know the roads can be clear and clean many days during the winter.
Better to run the beast than have it sit, for sure.

See if you can find the broadcast sheet under the rear seat - it will have your RPO's listed.
Look a bit under rear carpet too

Have fun and - request more photos or a youtube video!

- Ken

I use Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 in my 67 Chevy. It seems to run quite well. That lube is pretty advanced compared to what worked OK 55 years ago.

Well that is the nicest car I've seen on here in a bit. Or at least one I like the most being a GM guy :)
The best years for american Iron 65-66.

You can decode the rear end, it has stamping on the axle tube
If it's CI or CU its probably the 3.73 posi if you have the close ratio transmission.
May be CG 3.36 posi also. Stamping is on on the axle housing about a foot from the drum brakes

For winter I would just run you choice of 10W30 with some Lunati break in lube or similar
Just keep it under 4500 RL in the winter.

I guess a lot of people don't know the roads can be clear and clean many days during the winter.
Better to run the beast than have it sit, for sure.

See if you can find the broadcast sheet under the rear seat - it will have your RPO's listed.
Look a bit under rear carpet too

Have fun and - request more photos or a youtube video!

- Ken
Thanks Ken. Agree, I wouldn't drive it on anything but clean roads. I'd say 4.11s because on the test drive I was turning 2000 rpms in 4th around 37mph. The old owner was a dirt track racer and liked to go fast. The sun pro tach had the redline set over 7000 rpms. Now, I don't hear any kind of cam like that in it but aside from one test drive where the brakes failed, I haven't driven it.

The Chevelle is a L79 car, the high 350 horsepower 327. It has a healthy hydraulic cam, not sure if it's stock. Previous owner ran Mobil Delvac 15w40.

I'm looking for oil that's more cold start friendly. I just bought it and I'm expecting alot of cold starts in the next few months.

I don't know any specifics about the engine. I believe it has been rebuilt, atleast I expect the heads were since they look new inside the valve cover. The owner died unexpectedly and all useful knowledge went with him, he'd owned the car for almost 50 years. This SS has a 4 speed and 12 bolt with I'm guessing 4.11 gears. It will be turning some RPMs and wants to rev.

Here's a picture from earlier. Replaced the master cylinder and all the wheel cylinders tonight. (Master and couple wheel cylinders were leaking)
WOW. Hard as it would be, that car would not exit my garage unless under bright blue sunny skies!!!
Stick with what been working unless you going driving in hard freezing cold winter temps then I'd go with a 5w30.

VR1 10W-30 Dino. It's probably not seeing many miles and dump it out end of season. Diesel oil has cut back on zinc.

Reactions: FCD
Even if you don’t drive it in the snow, cold pavement is slippery, that car will be a handful.
Would use the hot-rod 5w-30 you have, I would just blend it with a 40-weight to make it a thick 30-weight.
That car is a beauty!

Back