Oil recommendations for 2008 Honda Ridgeline

Recently bought a new-to-me 2008 Honda Ridgeline from of the original owner. Truck has 177k on it. Was planning to use Valvoline MaxLife red bottle like I use in the Matrix, but the owners manual recommends fully synthetic, not a blend. I know that doesn't really matter, but I figured I'd follow directions. The truck will be used for daily driving and long road trips. I don't know yet how much or if at all it burns oil (I assume it does), but it doesn't have any leaks. May go with Supertech full synthetic high mileage and like 7k intervals, but I'm very open to recommendations. I typically buy oil at Walmart and I already have VTM-4 fluid for the rear diff and DW1 for the trans.

If you like the Maxlife?...there IS a full synthetic version.
It's less that I like that oil, and just thought it would be easier to run both vehicles on the same oil. The matrix does get as many miles on it so its pointless to use a synthetic in my mind. I guess it doesn't really matter though.

I have been using conventional QS 5W-20 in my 2007 for years. It's at 208,000 with no problems whatsoever and almost no oil consumption

My mom's 2008 Odyssey has a J35A6 which is not one of the cars with the super problematic VCM, but at 180k miles it consumes a hellacious amount of oil (~1qt ever 700-1000mi), with these engines what oil specifically shouldn't matter just make sure it has oil, red bottle maxlife is a good choice.

Some cars burn certain oils, while others do not. My 03" Matrix uses ST synth 5w30 and has a design flaw that is known to burn. My 19' Sorento likes Penn Plat 5w20 and 30 but burned Mobil 1. Go figure. My neighbor's Camry burned Penn Plat, but not Supertech. Any API certified full synth at Walmart is good. As long as you use a full synth, simply find one your Honda likes and go from there.

It's less that I like that oil, and just thought it would be easier to run both vehicles on the same oil. The matrix does get as many miles on it so its pointless to use a synthetic in my mind. I guess it doesn't really matter though.
Frankly I would have had the Matrix on Full synthetic since it was at 60K miles or less. That's about the time I moved the Corolla to Synthetic and I've always wondered if I should have changed sooner. But what really matters is what's on sale. Easier LOL what ever is on sale is easier.

Frankly I would have had the Matrix on Full synthetic since it was at 60K miles or less. That's about the time I moved the Corolla to Synthetic and I've always wondered if I should have changed sooner. But what really matters is what's on sale. Easier LOL what ever is on sale is easier.
The Matrix is a post-1zz-oil consumption fix so it literally burns 0 oil on a 6500 mile interval. I have no reason to run a fully synthetic in it.

Curious, where did you see that the Ridgeline OM requires synthetic? It’s more important to change and check it frequently with the VCM engines than the brand itself.

1A6590AD-0549-4111-AE81-EA368F714DF4.jpg

It requires a 5w20. Conventional or synthetic.
I would run a synthetic 5w20 or 5w30. There are also high milleage version of the oils.

It's a non-VCM J-Series. Unless you're having an odd usage problem you're trying to combat, use whatever you like. The non-VCM J-Series is not hard on oil and not usually picky either.

It's also going to leak out of the oil filter/pump seals. There's nothing you can do about that. Budget for the appropriate service when the next timing belt is due since it all has to come apart to do those seals.

My 07 started to leak oil at the oil pump / front cover at around 200,000 miles. I just had it resealed for around $500. I had the shop replace the timing belt at the same time since it has to come off to replace the gaskets on the oil pump. The belt had been done 3 years prior but if it is coming off I am putting a new one in it's place and extending the next belt service that much farther down the road.

If you like chasing rebates, your can typically get Mobile 1 or Pennzoil Platinum on for ~ $12/jug. ($24 at walmart with a $12 rebate) If you don't like that. look at Supertech for $15, Havoline 6qt jug for $18 or QSUD for $18. I've run most major brands in my 2007 Tacoma and they all run about the same. Some very minor differences but nothing to quibble about. 7K is easy for all of these. with a truck that age I might consider the high mileage version for the seal conditioners..... might.

Pick what's easiest and best for you and don't give it a second thought. Good news today is there no oils at Walmart that are "oh hell no don't buy that one!!!" :)

Back