Oil recommendations and help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a few questions, so please forgive me for the long post. Here it goes..

1.) I ready that regular Mobil1 is not fully synthetic, but the M1 Extended Performance is a fully synthetic oil. Is this correct?
2.) I am currently running M1 5W-30 in my 08 5.3L Silverado with a M1 filter. I am wanting to try a Wix filter at my next oil change and had a question on whether I should run a Wix or stay with the M1 filter. When running regular M1, should go with a Wix filter or stick with the M1? If I use the Exdended Performance, should I stick with the M1 filter or us a Wix filter with both. Currenty with using the M1, I go about 7,000 miles between changes, if I use the EP, I would go longer so I don't knwo if that would make a difference on which filter I use.
3.) Last question. My girlfiend has a 2005 Audi A4 1.8L. I want to run M1 in her car but didn't know if there was a better oil that is recommended for her car. I'm not sure if I would go with the full synthetic oil or no (most likely will though) and if I would use a Wix or M1 filter.

Again, sorry for the long post in advance but I figured it would be better than creating 3 different posts. Thanks in advance for all the help guys.

I'll field the Audi part.

If she takes short trips, consider a 5w-30 synth. There is a UOA here from someone I know, he ran Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 in a chipped 1.8T and got great results. You can use Mobil 1, but you are on your own. If you do, I'd stick with the 0w-40. German Castrol Syntec 0w-30 aka GC is popular here and was the factory fill in 1.8Ts.

Mobil 1 0w-30....I can't say would be better or worse than the 5w-30, probally better. In 30 weights, Mobil 1 10w-30 is the prefered grade. Auto-Rx cleaner additive is strongly advised for that engine. Well worth the $25.

btw- i would not bother with the M1 EP. M1 Hi-Miles is strongly advised in the Audi too. If you are a Mobil guy.

My 1st choice: Valvoline Synpower and Wix.
2nd: Mobil 1 oil is good, and the filters are, but I would use Purolator premium instead. My 2 cents.

welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

Re: Your 5.3L Silverado, the oil filter doesn't make a huge difference so I wouldn't sweat it much. Both the Wix and the M1 are excellent products and will work well in your application. Unless you are analyzing UOA's very carefully for specific wear data, and are extending OCI's past 10,000 miles, the filter choice is not mission critical. Use whatever one floats your boat.

1) both are synthetic. All oils are blends of various basestocks, optimized for various parameters.
2)both are great filters, in general I'd use any with confidence, but if truly going to 12-15k miles, I'd opt for the m1 filter or similar.
3) for the 1.8t, I've seen m1 0w-40 to be a great oil. A friend's gti is doing extended drains on it for over 150k with no sludge. I'd look for Mann, mahle, hengst filters, though wix or the other majors are also great. My friend runs purolator.

Originally Posted By: qship1996
Stick with the Mobil 1 filter, it is the best available.

The M1 filter I cut open the pleats were VERY un uniform one side they were nearly flat the other side they were bunched together.

I seen other examples of this on this site too. For the $$ I would expect better.

I would also add that Amsoil's EAO filter is of equal if not better quality than the M1 filters. Just another choice to add to the list IMO.
wink.gif

btw- that 5w-30 UOA was from Summer and driven hard. PP is pretty amazing to turn it out in a Euro turbo engine.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I would also add that Amsoil's EAO filter is of equal if not better quality than the M1 filters. Just another choice to add to the list IMO.
wink.gif

The mobil 1 filter clobbered it in a recent members particle count test! Another thread pointed out dangerously low oil pressure with the EAO in toyota engines- I would think based on the above, there is no reason to choose the EAO over the M1.....not even taking into account the price and off the shelf advantages of the M1 vs the EAO.

Originally Posted By: qship1996
Originally Posted By: StevieC
wink.gif

The mobil 1 filter clobbered it in a recent members particle count test! Another thread pointed out dangerously low oil pressure with the EAO in toyota engines- I would think based on the above, there is no reason to choose the EAO over the M1.....not even taking into account the price and off the shelf advantages of the M1 vs the EAO.

Yes but there was also a post from a member that said the media inside his M1 filter was uneven and could cause restrictions...

The EAO is the only filter I have been able to use successfully on my Santa Fe without lifter ticking whereas all other after market filters I have tried do including the M1 filter which I bought from the US.

It's all how you read and perceive things... It's the internet after all. - To be used as a tool and to form your own opinions... Nothing on here is set in stone and no two applications are alike!
wink.gif

I haven't been on the forums for a while. It guess things have changed, M1 filter better than EaO? And Mobil 1 changed back to synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back