Oil Recommendation?

I'm not sure verse in oil so I was those who are more informed can make some recommendations.

Car is a 2015 WRX running E85 making 350/350 wheel. It is pretty much a track only car that occasionally gets driven around town. Originally I was using M12 ESP 5W30 but when the car started track duty I switched to Castrol Edge 5W40.

I'm in northern Cali, so the coldest it gets around here during winter might be the occasional mid 30s. The car likely won't get driven in that type of weather.

Oil temps can run up during track events, I've seen upwards of 260-270. While I know the oil can handle the temp I'm more concerned about viscosity and the resulting drop in oil pressure. I've been researching and it seems that switching back to 5W30 might cool down the motor and also free up some power, and that if it has strong film strength then the drop in pressure should be OK.

As a result, do you guys think I should move away from Castrol Edge 5W40? 20 bucks a jug is dirt cheaaaaaaap. Some of these racing oils are double the price. Like Ravenol Racing 5W40.

Stick to what I've been using?

Video of the car in action:
Pressures and temps are logged and overlayed to the video

Thanks! Can't beat 20 bucks, and I just drain it after every event anyway.

I'll keep doing what I'm doing.

I think the Castrol 5w-40 is an excellent choice; that or M1 0w-40 would be my recommendation.

I'd avoid the 10w-40's, that sort of an antiquated oil grade and I would question whether they are using as robust a base oil as they do in the 5w-40.

Stick with a 40wt. If it’s a track car stuff some Red Line in it for extra insurance. How often does the car see the track and what type of events mostly?

Stick with a 40wt. If it’s a track car stuff some Red Line in it for extra insurance. How often does the car see the track and what type of events mostly?

It's strictly a track car now but has a long block. Power comes from the e85 tune and bolt ons.

HPDE with a focus in moving to time attack. Session are usually 20 mins. Car does sometimes get tracked inn 105F weather. 😅

the last time Edge 5W40 was updated the EJ25 was still a relevant and impressive motor. it’s been a while...

try 0 dub 40 either edge or m1

the last time Edge 5W40 was updated the EJ25 was still a relevant and impressive motor. it’s been a while...

try 0 dub 40 either edge or m1
Oh I should clarify the 2015 WRX utilizes a new motor. The fa20dit. It's direct injection with a twin scroll turbo.

Back