oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well first time posting/registration. I have lurked on this forum for a long enough.

I am in need of some expertise. I currently have a 2010 chevy cobalt SS turbo that is fairly modified. OEM oil is M1 5w30 and stock boost was 16 psi. The car as 45k km on it, and only summer driven. After 5k km, i switched to AMS 5w30 and have been changing it about every 5-7k. The car has been tuned for 26 psi for the past 30k km or so.

This car suffers from direct injection carbon build up on the valves (bmw owners will know this). I will be walnut blasting the valves, installing an actual working oil catch can as well to help prevent this build. As well, i am about to install a meth kit to spray just before the intake.

What i am asking is this. Most people recommend a low ash oil to help prevent against the build up, but i also want something to help with the addition of the meth to the mix. Meth will be spraying at a 50/50 mix after 10psi.

Do i just keep with the 5w30, or go with a 5w40?
I was thinking Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 or AMS European Low-Ash formula.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

How long are your typical drives?

And how often does it take you to go 5-7k kilometers? That's around ~3,000 miles... which you will gain NO benefit from synthetic oil.

Typical daily drive is about 100km ~ 60 miles when i do drive it to work and back, weekends will vary. Id say every 2 months to get to 3000 miles. Rev limiter is set to 6750 as well which i forgot to mention above.

I would stick to two oil changes per year.... Amsoil 5w-30 in April and October, or some interval like that.

There should be no need to change Amsoil as often as you are doing. It should easily be able to handle 10k miles per OCI.

If you are worried about contaminated oil, then consider changing just filters at the 3 month intervals (July and January), leaving the old oil in there and simply topping off as needed.

Synthetic actually improves the longer you use it... and clean filters are always good, too.

Ya im actually worried about the addition of the meth to the intake. i usually change 2 filters per oil change as well anyways. better be safe than sorry.

Does the OLM account for boost pressure? If so, just use any 4718M or dexos2 oil for the suggestion?

The European oils might work too, GC, M1 0w40

Is this one of those factory/dealer modified cars? I remember GM had their own GM performance options, stage 1/2/3 when this car was out, so the OLM probably works there too.

Originally Posted By: r3v07ut10n
Ya im actually worried about the addition of the meth to the intake. i usually change 2 filters per oil change as well anyways. better be safe than sorry.

What worries you specifically about meth injection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back